Slow running hot tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Got a gravity fed system and having trouble with the kitchen tap, where the flow is very slow.

Cylinder is in the bathroom, bath tap is perfect, basin is ok but not as great. Kitchen downstairs is abysmal. Is there anything that I should be looking out for as really need to sort this

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I would firstly look at the pipework supplying the kitchen tap. If it is a mixer tap ,with braided flexible hoses ,their internal bore is tiny and restricts the flow quite a bit. Even though the cold might be great the hot is not under mains pressure and there will be a noticeable difference .check this out first

I would firstly look at the pipework supplying the kitchen tap. If it is a mixer tap ,with braided flexible hoses ,their internal bore is tiny and restricts the flow quite a bit. Even though the cold might be great the hot is not under mains pressure and there will be a noticeable difference .check this out first

Hi

Thanks for the reply. It’s been fine for a few years, never been the best but all of the sudden it’s like a dribble.

The tap is a mixer tap

Then the tap valve would be my next port of call. Do you have two separate tap heads or is it the single lever type ?screw down tap heads or quarter turn ?

Sponsored Links
Then the tap valve would be my next port of call. Do you have two separate tap heads or is it the single lever type ?screw down tap heads or quarter turn ?
Hi

It’s a single lever mixer tap. It’s a moretti tsp in the link, just realised it’s not suitable for low pressure systems.

http://www.ie.screwfix.com/moretti-pull-out-sink-mounted-mono-mixer-kitchen-tap-chrome.html

There’s also a full bore valve in the hot side which is hard to turn, wondering if this isn’t opening fully

Its not a gate valve is it ? Big round red handle ? Notorious for not opening / closing fully ,after laying dormant for years you turn them off / on and you find you have a problem. Also check where the hose meets the tap ,and the end where water comes out ,for any signs of blockage ,limescale usually.

See lower down in the link. It States " not suitable for gravity fed " Hmmmm.....but its been working OK for a while , so summats changed ??

• Suitable for High & Low Pressure Systems
I'm with Terry, faulty gate valve.

Andy

Not a gate valve, just a full bore isolation valve, which was fitted by me 3yrs ago when I did the kitchen.

I'm going to disconnect feed to the tap and check flow into a bucket, if it's not good then drain the tank and change valve for a lever valve anfpd see if that improves

I've also purchased a new Franke Mythos tap to replace current one if needed

If it's suddenly bad on one tap it's got to be done debris, especially if it's the lowest tap.
Could be lime scale, or some crud from the header tank, I had this and removed the tap and flushed those tiny Flexi hoses through backwards. I could see through them afterwards and the flow was miles better.
If it keeps happening, eg for people who have certain combis in a very hard water area, you can fit a Y strainer on the boiler outlet. But unlikely to be a major issue for you if your header tank is pretty clean and covered.
Good luck!

If it's suddenly bad on one tap it's got to be done debris, especially if it's the lowest tap.
Could be lime scale, or some crud from the header tank, I had this and removed the tap and flushed those tiny Flexi hoses through backwards. I could see through them afterwards and the flow was miles better.
If it keeps happening, eg for people who have certain combis in a very hard water area, you can fit a Y strainer on the boiler outlet. But unlikely to be a major issue for you if your header tank is pretty clean and covered.
Good luck!
Thanks for the info, could well be considering how small the bores are on flexi tap tails. I did remove ceramic cartridge last week to clean, but all looked ok

Last edited:
I'm going to disconnect feed to the tap and check flow into a bucket,

Good idea but first accurately measure the hot flow at the tap,time how long it takes to fill a pint glass.

Then measure at the feed pipe (as you mentioned) see how long it takes to fill the same glass.

If braided flexi pipes are used,you could undo the hot from the tap inlet and do the timed glass test,the flexi hose could be creating excessive restriction.
the time taken will indicate where good water supply is available and not.

Other consideration is to check the loft water tank is at the correct fill level.
Any braided flexi pipes should be as straight as possible.

A lot of those monoblock mixers are suitable for mains water only at balanced pressures,so it may have been just about supplying sufficient hot water but mixing hot&cold when rinsing using the pull out spout will be hit or miss.

Have changed a few fancy newly installed monoblock kitchen taps for the Bristan mono value (not ceramic disc) taps.Works a treat.

Last edited by a moderator:
could well be considering how small the bores are on flexi tap tails...

The spec I readon the link you posted states it has solid tails to the tap.
In any case you can disconnect the hot feed and backflush cold mains water through the hot tail to dislodge any debris into a bucket. Then flush the hot pipework, as you've already suggested.
As far as scale is concerned, isn't the West Midlands a relatively soft water area?

The spec I readon the link you posted states it has solid tails to the tap.
In any case you can disconnect the hot feed and backflush cold mains water through the hot tail to dislodge any debris into a bucket. Then flush the hot pipework, as you've already suggested.
As far as scale is concerned, isn't the West Midlands a relatively soft water area?

Well spotted, couldn’t remember if flexi or rigid. I’m supposed to go over later, will see how it goes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back