Slow to heat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya,

I've been searching the forum for help, and have found lots of decent advice, but putting it altogether I'm going round in circles. I was hoping somebody may have some advice given the following details, and what I've already tried.

The crux of the problem is that the house takes a long time to heat up, but once warm seems to stay warm. Yesterday at 5pm the house was 15 degrees, it took 4 hours to get it to 21 degrees (with a -2 outside temperature). This seems slow to me?

The house is 1930's mid terrace 2 bed. We insulated the loft to 270mm over Christmas, the house is double glazed and I've closed up any draughts I could find.

The boiler is a Glowworm Betacom 30c, it gets the water and the radiators hot very quickly. One thing I've noticed is the flow and return pipes seem to be a similar temperature (within 5 degress) when the system has been running for over an hour. The radiators are ~55 degrees and the boiler output is set at 60 - 70 degrees.

Room sizes with radiators sizes are:
Lounge 3.7m x 3.6m ( double rad 1.22x0.48 )
Dining 3.7m x 3.06m ( single rad 1.10 x 0.48 )
Kitchen 4.5m x 2.2m ( double rad 0.67 x 0.48 )
Bedroom 1 3.7m x 3.6m ( single 1.23 x 0.48 )
Bedroom 2 3.7m x 3.06m ( single 1.23 x 0.48 )
Bathroom 4.5m x 2.2m ( double 0.7 x 0.6, plus towel rail 0.5 x 1.4 )

I guess my questions are:

0) Is this heat up time normal? I was expecting 15 - 21 in about an hour?

1) How can I increase the temperature difference across the boiler? The manual says 20 degrees is optimum but we're way off that. Pump is built in to boiler and can't find a way to adjust speed. Would increasing/restricting flow through radiators help?

2) I think the Kitchen needs a bigger radiator, especially as it has two external walls and two windows - its the coldest room in the house. Sound about right?

I've called a couple of plumbers for advice but they're swamped with the cold weather, thought I'd try here until they can get over later in the week.

Thanks if any help can be given.

Sponsored Links
Google "Radiator size calculator"
you will find several free to use radiator sizing apps

just put in the property details and room sizes,
the required Kw/h ratings will be calculated

if you can find the www site for your rads you should be able to find the Kw/h ratings for your existing rads to compare ;)

Hey Boilerman,

Thanks for the quick response, I tried a few BTU calculators the other day which lead me down the "we need to upgrade the kitchen radiator" path, although the current one didn't seem drastically undersized compared to similar modern radiators of the same size, its difficult to know the exact BTU of what we have now.

I'll definitely go ahead with the kitchen rad upgrade, which should also increase the difference between flow/return temperature at the boiler - but it still feels like I'm missing something. :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back