Sludge in F+E tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just moved into a house, and I believe that the central heating system could do with a clean out, as there is quite a lot of noise from the pipes, and i've got one radiator with a large cold area in the middle etc. I also doubt it ever had any protector solution added to it, judging by various other parts of the install (control kit was wired incorrectly so when the programmer thought everything was off, central heating could still run if the thermostat on the cylinder asked for heat!)

I'm quite happy with draining the system down, refilling it, adding the relevant cleaning stuff, leaving it for a while, draining again etc etc, as I've helped others with various parts of this in the past.

However, I've looked in the loft, and the F+E tank has a lot of brown (for want of a better word) sludge - it looks 'soft' if you see what I mean (if necessary I can try and get a photo). Should I try and do anything to remove this before draining down (to avoid it all getting sucked into the pipes), and if so is it just a matter of getting up there with a bucket or whatever, wedging the ballcock valve and emptying out the tank, then scraping out the sludge - or is there a better method/solution?

My other option is of course to get it power flushed (either by hiring a machine or just getting someone to come in and do it), but ideally I'll try with just a normal flush and cleaning solution etc first...

For reference, it's a Glow worm Ultimate boiler, and a fully pumped indirect cylinder system (cylinder and boiler are both on the ground floor).

Sponsored Links
Sounds like your system is full of sludge.
I would advise a powerflush however you can do a manual flush your self.

I would remove the f/e tank completely and wash it out thorougly.
Also take off all the rads and run a hose pipe mains through it banging the rad with a rubber mallet.

Then add a quality cleanser for a week or so then drain and flush through until clear, fill up and add a quality inhibitor .

If you feel competent hire a power flush machine.

Pete

Get your system powerflushed, should cost you about £400+vat including cleaning the loft tank and adding inhibitor to your system, and removal of individual rads for cleaning as necessary

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back