slumbering lawnmower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's been he same every year for about the last 5 years; i try to rouse my Mountfield Empress from her winter slumber and she just ignores me, It's only after i have taken her to my local mower clinic where i am relieved of, at least £55, that she begins to show some interest in cutting grass. Has anyone out there been able to deal with a similarly reluctant Empress and who could advise me as to how to encourage her into starting when i want her to start and keep her that way rather than the annual trip to the clinic?

Sponsored Links
1) Drain out the old fuel and refill with new. Clean or replace the spark plug.

2) Ask yourself if, at the end of the previous season, you remembered to follow the manufacturer's lay-up instructions. This will probably have included making sure there was no old petrol in the carburettor to evaporate and block it with sticky gum.

if i have any kit thats reluctant to start, i always take the spark plug out and give it a good clean. Take the air filter off when you start it as well. May take a little patience but they normally get going. Also be aware of how you have stored it. If its been on its side etc then you can leave petrol in the carb which doesnt help.

thanks to JohnD and thermo ; i will pay heed to your responses guys.

Sponsored Links
I use an aerosol can of Damp Start. It is ether based and if you squirt it straight into the carb most petrol engines start easily.

Can't fault the other guy's comments. It's just that year after year I just don't get round to putting the mower away "properly".

After removing and cleaning the spark plug. pop it in your oven, and get it hot, use an oven glove to refit........Works every time for me.

Arr, lad, I got that tip from my old grandad who'd been doing it since 1925.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back