smacking kids

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kelinik said:
I don't think there's ever a good reason to hit anyone, let alone a child!

Toffee I hope you manage to work out what is causing you little boy to act like this, it does sound a lot like how my little cousin used to go after eating anything with artificial colourings in.

Which is why we have the yob culture of today. No discipline equals anarchy.

joe

Sponsored Links
Nope, I'm a very strict parent, my kids know the rules, are expected to obey the rules and know what will happen if they don't but I would never, under ANY circumstances hit them!

Kelinik said:
Nope, I'm a very strict parent, my kids know the rules, are expected to obey the rules and know what will happen if they don't but I would never, under ANY circumstances hit them!

That's why we have the yob culture of today.

So according to you hitting kids is the only form of punishment that works? Well I've seen first hand that that isn't the case and firmly believe that violence will only ever lead to more violence. I do agree that kids in general today lack discipline and that it's appalling but will never believe that it'd all be solved if more parents hit their kids!

Sponsored Links
Kelinik said:
So according to you hitting kids is the only form of punishment that works? Well I've seen first hand that that isn't the case and firmly believe that violence will only ever lead to more violence. I do agree that kids in general today lack discipline and that it's appalling but will never believe that it'd all be solved if more parents hit their kids!

Then why, now that 'smacking', not 'hitting', is a thing of the past do we have a yob culture? History shows that discipline worked. When it was removed society started the slide downhill. If smacking breeds violence - why do we have more violence than ever before? Why are there more knife toting thugs than ever before? Why are there problem children at schools that never existed when the cane was in use? Why are our prisons overflowing?C'mon, smell the coffee.

joe

joe-90 said:
C'mon, smell the coffee.

joe
I think there are many, many reasons for the 'yob culture' that exists but I'm not willing to discuss them if you're going to patronise me for having an opinion that differs from yours!

Kelinik said:
joe-90 said:
C'mon, smell the coffee.

joe
I think there are many, many reasons for the 'yob culture' that exists but I'm not willing to discuss them if you're going to patronise me for having an opinion that differs from yours!

You are not arguing with me. You are arguing against the facts of history.

When discipline disappeared - hey presto! The yob culture was born.

Remember the old adage:

Those that don't learn history's lessons are doomed to repeat them.

joe

I'd put it down to parenting, rather than discipline alone.

I could easily generalise and say that Children who eat at the table with their parents are less likely to be yobs than children who eat on their laps in front of the TV.

Children who go to bed early and are read a story are less likely to be yobs than children who are allowed to sit up watching post-watershed TV.

Children who go for a walk in the copuntry with their parents at the weekend are less likely to be yobs than those that have to sit watching their parents getting drunk in a pub at the weekend (who also, IMHO, are more likely to be smacking parents)

Children with tellies in their rooms are more likely to be yobs than those that don't.

I could go on - There are so many factors that have led to the slide in society, that it is foolish to put it all down to not smacking children. Besides that, your automatic assumption that it is all down to the end of smacking simply isn't causal - You could just as easily say that the demise of children chimney sweeps, Austin cars or pre-decimal currency have led to the rise in yobbishness.

Not so.

How about we take the discipline out of the army?

Good idea according to you.

joe

johnny_t said:
I'd put it down to parenting, rather than discipline alone.

I could easily generalise and say that Children who eat at the table with their parents are less likely to be yobs than children who eat on their laps in front of the TV.

Children who go to bed early and are read a story are less likely to be yobs than children who are allowed to sit up watching post-watershed TV.

Children who go for a walk in the copuntry with their parents at the weekend are less likely to be yobs than those that have to sit watching their parents getting drunk in a pub at the weekend (who also, IMHO, are more likely to be smacking parents)

Children with tellies in their rooms are more likely to be yobs than those that don't.

I could go on - There are so many factors that have led to the slide in society, that it is foolish to put it all down to not smacking children. Besides that, your automatic assumption that it is all down to the end of smacking simply isn't causal - You could just as easily say that the demise of children chimney sweeps, Austin cars or pre-decimal currency have led to the rise in yobbishness.

Totally agree!

And joe - 90 I'm not arguing with anyone, I thought this was a debate and therefore I'm debating.

joe-90 said:
Not so.

How about we take the discipline out of the army?

Good idea according to you.

joe

Not really - We're talking about raising well-rounded children here, not finely-honing an effective army. A night out in Colchester or Aldershot may disprove your theory on the link between discipline and yobbishness as well.....

OK let's hear your answer to this problem:

13 year old kid threatening teachers and swearing and bullying other kids in school.

In my day he would have got '6 of the best'. Not many went back for a second dose.

What would YOU suggest we do today? Tell them not to eat 'E' numbers?

joe

Make the effort to find out why he's behaving like it and then deal with it (a bit like Toffee was trying to do at the start of the thread). Might take a bit longer than beating him, but the results will be better in the long run.

It's called progress.

No but a good diet certianly wouldn't do him any harm!

A 13 year old who behaves like that is likely to wallop you back if you hit him so I don't see how that helps. I think the key is carrot as opposed to stick with kids with serious behaviour problems as often they are insecure and attention seeking and you only give them attention by punishing them. This is somewhat of a generalisation but in my experience children like this often come from difficult backgrounds/homelives and often have been smacked by their parents so your smacking theory doesn't work out!

johnny_t said:
Make the effort to find out why he's behaving like it and then deal with it (a bit like Toffee was trying to do at the start of the thread). Might take a bit longer than beating him, but the results will be better in the long run.

It's called progress.

Well why has no-one found out what is wrong with the yobs we already have and erradicate the problem? The simple answer to the simple question is that there is NO discipline. Nothing to back it up. It's akin to removing the power of arrest from Police and then asking them to 'ask the crims nicely' to stop beating the crap out of some passer-by.

It doesn't work. It's NEVER worked.

Society needs teeth to deal with its problems - and you have taken those teeth away. That's why we have a yob culture today.

joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back