Small but important... advice on hanging hammock to ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For various reasons (it was cheap) I've decided to put a hammock in the living room and have a concrete ceiling, the hardware store has supplied huge ceiling bolts with metal sheathes that apparently bite into the concrete (instead of the plastic raw plug I suppose).
These scared me and have decided to ask a builder to come and do the work, but not now sure have enough distance on the ceiling. Can anyone comment, has anyone done this and what should I avoid (apart from not doing it!).
Advise greatly appreciated (am now going to tie one end of it to the curtain pole in an attempt to see if have long enough gap...).

Sponsored Links
It sounds like you have been supplied with a standard rawlbolt - which when inserted into your concrete ceiling and the nut tightened, expands its sides into the drilled hole. These work well enough, but you must drill the exact required diameter hole and also make sure it is the correct depth for the bolt. It should be fine - assuming that the ceiling is thick enough of course - and it should be as presumably there is a floor above.

Hi Burnerman, yes your description matches what the man in the shop said, he sold me the correct drill bit as well (size wise and for concrete). No floor above me though, the ceiling is my roof - should that be a problem? (It's a flat roof).
Another reason for getting someone more qualified to do it, is that I don't think my little black n decker hand drill will have sufficient horsepower!

Sponsored Links
Obviously it depends on how long the rawlbolts are, and how thick your ceiling is....although I would think it would be thicker than 125mm or so. The chances are that the ceiling will have steel reinforcement in it too - so I think a powerful drill would be necessary. Its a thought, but the load could be spread by putting in more smaller rawlbolts, rather than just a couple of large ones. Cheers John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back