Small cable-to-flex connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to connect some flex to some fixed cabling to power some lighting. Normally, I would use an FCU. However, the connection needs to go on top of cabinets and there is only about 50mm between the top of the cabinet and the ceiling which means there is insufficient room for a normal accessory. I was thinking about using something like:

http://www.qvsdirect.com/Surface-Junction-Box-c-w-3-Pole-Terminal-Block-pr-24142.html

But maybe there is a better product, or better solution..?

cheers,
Radweld

Sponsored Links
A few question need to be asked to help qualify your question and offer you the best advice.
From were will the supply power come from for this addition (type of circuit and fuse/MCB protecting this circuit)?
What size flex do you intend to use?

I'm tapping into a switched lighting circuit, so I need to connect 2 x 1.5mm TE which is on a 6A RCBO. The flex will be about 0.5m to an electronic transformer and will be whatever is suitable (6A rated if I use a connector box, possibly 3A if I can use a fused outlet - although a fuse may be a bit tricky to access should it ever blow)

cheers, Radweld

Your flex will be rated at about 3A, 0.75mm is rated at 6A. Providing you transformers don,t draw more than 3A the 0.5mm should be okay but I would prefer 0.75mm.
0.75mm cable will be okay on your 6A RCBO, so no need for a fused connection unit.

Sponsored Links
Thanks - to clarify I was referring to the flex being 50cm long, not a 0,5mm CSA. Point taken on 6A cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back