Small concrete pier foundations – how do you normally form and level them?

Point missed. There's no issue with cardboard tubes - they're cheap, strong, biodegradable, plastic-free and are already available. All advantages over your system.

Take what exists and improve on it, rather than starting with something else that's inferior in every way.
I understand your point.
I’m not trying to prove at this stage that the sleeve is better than cardboard in every respect. The reason I’m exploring it is that it allows the shaft and enlarged base to be formed as one continuous stay-in-place element, while the support controls height and position.
Whether that overall system offers enough practical advantage over a cardboard tube is exactly what the prototype tests need to answer. If it doesn’t, then that’s useful information too.
 
This could be a game changer for the millions of UK diyers struggling to cast and level reinforced concrete piers when building their garden sheds.
Fair enough — it’s definitely a niche problem, not something every DIYer will ever need.
I’m not assuming a mass market at this stage. I’m just trying to find out whether the people who do need this kind of foundation would find a simpler system useful. That’s what the testing and feedback are for.
 
Fair enough — it’s definitely a niche problem, not something every DIYer will ever need.
I’m not assuming a mass market at this stage. I’m just trying to find out whether the people who do need this kind of foundation would find a simpler system useful. That’s what the testing and feedback are for.
I'm just not seeing this as simpler than established ways.

This isn't even a terribly common approach to foundations in the UK.
 
I'm just not seeing this as simpler than established ways.

This isn't even a terribly common approach to foundations in the UK.
That may well be true for the UK, and I’m not trying to force the concept into a market where the construction method itself is uncommon.
The real question for me is whether, in places where this type of pier foundation is used more often, the system makes the work simpler or faster for non-professionals. That’s what I need to prove with the prototype.
 
If there are shortcomings with cardboard then could it be improved? E.g. by clamping it into a levelling tripod and/or adding a bottom section or standoffs that would allow it and the footing to be formed in one go?

But honestly, it's probably a lot more work than just doing it in stages - fill foundation slab, let it go off, stand tube on top, trim to height, pour into tube, waggle tube around until it's vertical in both planes.

There's no need to worry about the strength of the joint between the pier and its footing, as the mass of the building prevents it moving. All conventional houses aren't even attached to their footings, they sit on top of a plastic DPC. They don't move.
 
If there are shortcomings with cardboard then could it be improved? E.g. by clamping it into a levelling tripod and/or adding a bottom section or standoffs that would allow it and the footing to be formed in one go?

But honestly, it's probably a lot more work than just doing it in stages - fill foundation slab, let it go off, stand tube on top, trim to height, pour into tube, waggle tube around until it's vertical in both planes.

There's no need to worry about the strength of the joint between the pier and its footing, as the mass of the building prevents it moving. All conventional houses aren't even attached to their footings, they sit on top of a plastic DPC. They don't move.
Yes, improving the cardboard tube setup is one possible direction.
But the flexible sleeve concept is not only about forming the enlarged base in one piece. The other advantages I’m trying to achieve are compactness, portability and potentially lower total cost.
The whole system is designed to pack down relatively small, use a lightweight stay-in-place sleeve instead of bulky rigid tubes, and make height adjustment and positioning part of the same setup.
I don’t want to claim yet that it will definitely be cheaper or faster — the prototype tests still need to confirm that. But those are the main reasons I’m exploring a different system rather than simply modifying the cardboard tube.
 

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.


Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

 
Back
Top