Small crack running around the perimeter of bathroom ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I bought me place from new four years ago and as I have been decorating the place over the years I've never failed to be surprised at how poorly fitted out the properties were with the cheapest materials and the shoddiest workmanship.

Anyway I'm onto the bathroom and about to prep the ceiling for painting first. I've noticed that there is a hairline crack (pictured below) around the perimeter of the ceiling.

Firstly has this happened because of the moisture in the bathroom? or is it merely natural movement in a new build?

In terms of preparation should I just fill the crack, sand it down and paint? Or is there more prep work to be done?

Cheers in advance.

Sponsored Links
Its probably going to be one of those annoying cracks that will keep coming back due to movement. Presuming its plastered you can rake the crack out and fill, rub down, prime with thinned emulsion and paint or chop out the crack along its entire length, apply some scrim and fill.

I agree with what dcdec says but, looking at it, I'm wondering if it is paper joint tape that has come loose. It looks like the right sort of distance from the edge and this is a common problem in new builds, especially in bathrooms. If it is loose tape, remove it and then scrim and fill as suggested.

Sponsored Links
It's the tape that's come loose from the ceiling. I'd cut along with a stanley knife to remove it, then retape it, as Mr Helpful said.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back