small load bearing wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have purchased a house with an old extension to the living room and kitchen. The extension is 1 storey at ground level and has a flat roof. Dividing the kitchen and living room is a brick wall which I wish to knock through. So, this brick wall purely supports the flat roof. I have made some holes and the flat roof joists are 5" X 1 and 1/4" . Obviously there will be some blockboard and asphalt above the joists.
My question is do I need to pay building regs to examine this. ?
Also I realise I would have to supply a drawing but will I need to supply a calculation for load .? If so would like to do this myself and not pay anyone so do you know what the calculation is ?

Sponsored Links
You will need to submit a Building Regulation application if you are proposing to carry out any structural alterations and that can be done via a Building Notice (i.e. basic plans with some calculations/details along with the application form and fee).

It wouldn't be a straight forward calculation. You would have to work out all the loads and then size the beam(s) accordingly.

It depends on the size of the opening you are proposing too. If its huge you'll definitely need an engineer. If small you may be able to get Catnic or similar to provide a calc but with the price of Catnics its prob cheaper to employ and eng and get some UB's or similar fabricated.

Also to add to the above posts, from what you describe the wall is between the original house and the extension and logic says that this wall would have been the external wall, now unless you live in a bungalow then apart from the extension roof you will also be supporting the first floor wall and potentially the roof..

Sponsored Links
That is how I also read it... so may well be a cavity wall.

Thanks for your replies so far. You will have to bear with me, when you say "get some UB's " i don't get that abbreviation.
With regard to the actual wall I can investigate if its cavity and update this post also to the size of the structural opening once i get home (its going to be around 2300 to 2800mm but let me check )

As to the location it is not supporting anything other than the flat roof as I have punched a few holes in it and will remove the ceiling to the whole length of it soon.

If you thing of the original back wall of the house. They extended on to it and installed sliding patio doors on the living room half and a kitchen window on the other half. The wall I refer to runs at 90 degrees to the existing back wall so separates the kitchen and living room. Why they did not use a steel and used brick instead I do not know at this stage.
Hope I have explained that correctly and it's clear .
Thanks
Steve

If you're wanting to remove a supporting wall, you need to replace it with some kind of secondary support (i.e. beams).

You can use lintels, UB's (Universal Beams - I section), UC's (Universal Columns - H section).

Hi again,
The wall is made of blocks that are 130mm thick.
The span of the existing wall is 2680mm width and I want to open up as much of it as possible.

The wall supports ceiling joists that are 140mm X 33 mm (5" X 1 and 1/4")

The joists support some kind of blockboard for a flat roof only.

I am beginning to think this may be able to be supported by a large joist using something like a jiffy hangar but I have to investigate or maybe someone can comment.
tks Steve

I'm not sure what you're wanting... to get somebody on here to provide you with a free calculation, because if so... that will not happen. You will have to get somebody to carry out a structural calculation for you and tell you what beam(s) need to go in as a result of forming the opening in the load-bearing wall... which is what your Building Control department will request.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back