Small Project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to make a socket that is switched by a flying lead terminated in a desktop switch, preferably with an indicator.

It only needs to be 3A maximum rating.

I could probably find a suitable trailing socket into which I could terminate both leads, but does anyone know a source for the switch?
I can find plenty without a neon, but none with.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Another option would be to buy a panel mount illuminated switch and mount it in a small box.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, guys. I should have been clearer.

I want something like this (but preferably with an indicator), that will sit on a desk, connected to a lead that controls a trailing socket outlet fed via a 13A plug.

It's to switch off an appliance which is plugged in underneath a huge desk and it's not easy or convenient to get to the plug.

https:///FUJIE-Switch-Round-Standin...ch&qid=1621323640&sprefix=foot+sqitch&sr=8-10

It's a little less chunky than a standard DP switch.

I have considered a remote control socket, but the person will lose the sodding remote, if the TV one is anything to go by.....!

If you're reading this, I'm not saying who it is, darling! :unsure:

Last edited:
A flying lead would be easier to reach (the desk is L shaped and that side is very deep) and mean no disruption to the decor.

Sorry, guys. I should have been clearer.

I have considered a remote control socket, but the person will lose the sodding remote, if the TV one is anything to go by.....!

If you're reading this, I'm not saying who it is, darling! :unsure:
Screw the remote control to the desk

Bespoke solid oak desk....
I'd have to change my name to Ivor Bolokov....

A flying lead would be easier to reach (the desk is L shaped and that side is very deep) and mean no disruption to the decor.
Screw the remote control to the desk
Bespoke solid oak desk....
I'd have to change my name to Ivor Bolokov....
If 'losing the remotr' were the only issue (against using a remote), then you could stick/fix a dummy 'flying lead' to the remote and tie the other end to a leg of the desk/whatever. However, what I would probably personally do is ..
Another option would be to buy a panel mount illuminated switch and mount it in a small box.
Something the below. It would involve a bit of work, and you'd have to sort out cable restraint etc, but a very small plastic box would suffice. I'm not sure if you feel the need for DP switch but, if you did, then you would presumably have to use 5-core cable, which might be a bit bulky.

upload_2021-5-18_13-4-45.png

Kind Regards, John

I installed a new sound system in a nightclub and they insisted on a Shure radio mic for the DJ and not one on a cable.
So we did...

A couple of days later they asked where the microphone is, we answered wherever their 'House DJ' put it when he finished playing.
At that point there was a considerable amount of money outstanding and they made the statement there would be no more paid if we didn't supply the mic 'as ordered'. We considered legal letter but for a £200 microphone it was easier to bite the bullet and supplied another. I hand delivered it and 2 receipts. In the presence of the manager adjusted/tested and we both signed both documents with a witness (Bar manager) and photographed both managers holding it.
They still lost it and tried to blame us,we charged them for another and repeated the above procedure.
Next time I was there I found they attatched it to the booth with a chain.
For the £700 they'd paid out they could have had ten Shure mics and cables...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back