Add Neon to Fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to use a neon indicator to show when a fan, with a delayed switch off timer, is actually still on at the main switch, as opposed to just on the overrun.
Is the circuit as shown OK? (The switch is in the L run. )
Any suggestions for a suitable small neon that could be fitted into a hole drilled in the fan casing? View media item 23073Thanks[/img]

Sponsored Links
take one out of a neon FCU.. the red lense too.. bit of hot melt glue to fix the neon in place on the fan and a dremel to fit the lense to the cover and you're golden..

Sponsored Links
Why not replace the switch with one with a neon indicator?
Thanks but it is a single way ceiling pull switch. (I don't think a neon version is made)
Have I got the neon across the right wires?

The neon connects between switched L and N, as on the diagram.

For the neon itself, one of these fits between the ceiling and the pull switch:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MK2056.html
Some additional wiring required, as you will need a neutral at the switch.

Or you could just get a fan with a neon indicator built into it already.

The neon connects between switched L and N, as on the diagram.

Or you could just get a fan with a neon indicator built into it already.

New fan !!! Obviously you are not a Yorkshireman, but I had never seen that neon base so looks a neat solution.

I wish to use a neon indicator to show when a fan, with a delayed switch off timer, is actually still on at the main switch, as opposed to just on the overrun.

stupid question, but wouldn't the bathroom light give it away? isn't it wired off the light?

No, it's in a utility room and it seemed pointless having a light on when the room was unoccupied.
In fact it does not need a timer on it, but that is what is in place, and the timer cannot be set to zero.(Back to the Yorkshireman)
Anybody with a memory could switch it off and leave it alone until the timer cuts it off, but my domestic staff keeps tugging at it 'cos she is not sure whether its on or off or whether she pulled the cord hard enough!

You can disable the timer by disconnecting the permanent live feed and putting into a terminal block, then wiring the switched live to both the permanent live and timer/switched live terminals.

You can disable the timer by disconnecting the permanent live feed and putting into a terminal block, then wiring the switched live to both the permanent live and timer/switched live terminals.
Brilliant--the simplest solution is the best. Must stop thinking too much.
Thanks.

Getting off topic, but I had thought of circumcising the bloody pull cord so she could not reach it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back