Small Sit On Lawn Mowers

Here is one for you:

lawnmower_funny.jpg

Sponsored Links
OK I can't comment for certain but all ride on machines I've ever come across have a charging system. I can't find a full spec sheet either.
All Mountfields do come with a battery charging point though, a two pin non reversible socket which has a round and flat locator to prevent incorrect connection.
John :)
You are correct in that the mower has a two pin non reversible charging socket, but I can assure you the 827H does not have an inbuilt alternator charge facility. The equivalent Stiga machine also does not have an in built charging system either as far as I am aware (not100%), but the 827H definitely hasn't.

The symptoms are that the battery seems to be discharging without any load being demanded from it, hence my suggestion of an unidentified battery drain with all systems isolated.
So have you confirmed this by connecting a meter in series between the battery and removed terminal with all switches off?

This, seems to suggest, that the Mountfield does in fact have the ability to recharge the battery, via the engine running. Look at section 7.7, where it says

Electric start models...

The job of the charge system is to supply a flow of
current to the battery at a maximum voltage of 14.7
Volts; a defective system might not charge the battery
correctly (requiring frequent charging

Sponsored Links
It seems potty that an electric start machine doesn't have a charging system (I have see this on one or two walk - behinds though) but Mr. H seems adamant so I'll bale out of this one!
For sure, a 9 a/h battery ain't going to last long at all.
John :)

So have you confirmed this by connecting a meter in series between the battery and removed terminal with all switches off?
No - In order to remove the positive terminal from the battery requires is to be unsoldered (it is not a simple spade connection), To do so will invalidate the warranty.

This, seems to suggest, that the Mountfield does in fact have the ability to recharge the battery, via the engine running. Look at section 7.7, where it says

Electric start models...

The job of the charge system is to supply a flow of
current to the battery at a maximum voltage of 14.7
Volts; a defective system might not charge the battery
correctly (requiring frequent charging

The article you refer to is great link, but the details are general to Sit on Mowers.
I can assure you with absolute 100% certainty The Mountfield 827H has NOT been built with an alternator charge facility. Sounds unbelievable that Mountfield would sell such a machine but they must have cut the production cost to the bone and it does not have a self charge facility. Other Mountfield mowers such as those in the 1300 range have BUT the 827 H hasn't, it requires an external charger which is supplied with the machine.

No - In order to remove the positive terminal from the battery requires is to be unsoldered (it is not a simple spade connection), To do so will invalidate the warranty.

In series with either of the two terminals will do it, but I have never heard of a battery being permanently being soldered to the loom, how would you go about installing a new battery - have you a photo?

In series with either of the two terminals will do it, but I have never heard of a battery being permanently being soldered to the loom, how would you go about installing a new battery - have you a photo?
The New battery comes with a flying lead the remote end of which has a plug connection that plugs into the wiring loom of the mower. the the battery change is a simple unplug and plug in the new battery.
To start dismantling the cable loom to gain access to a point where a meter can be put in series would inevitably interfere with the Warranty.
Never the less the point is that with a fully charged battery the Starter Solenoid energises. Leave everything alone for 24 hours then the battery cannot energise the solenoid suggesting the battery has discharged without any load being applied to it. Incidentally the Battery is a new battery replace by the supplier when trying to solve the failed start issue.

Sounds like a crap mower, save up and buy something better :censored:
Exactly what I am doing, the trouble is with these things, you only know if they are good or bad after the purchase. I did my research prior to purchase and all seamed positive, maybe I just have been unlucky and acquired a Dud.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back