Small Wood burner install.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, my first post here.

Ok, I've searched on here and all over the internet and cannot find 'definitive' answers to my questions. My apologies if I have missed the answers somewhere.

So, I have removed my gas fire and wood surround and have just a bare builders hole.
I had planed on leaving the brick work in the hole bare but the condition is too poor. My next option is to simply render the hole and paint the render in a white or cream.

Therefore, my first question is does the render need to be a 'special' heat resistant render or not? The wood burner is rated at 4-5kw and will be approximately 150mm from the render at the sides.

My second question, the paint for this render I assume does need to be heat resistant but I can only find an 'emulsion type' heat resistant paint in black. Where can I source other colours that I see in images on the internet and in brochures?

Third and lastly, I am creating a new hearth from reclaimed hand thrown clay tiles. They are approx 18mm (3/4inch) thick. Do these need to be laid with heat resistant tile adhesive or can I lay them on a sand/cement mix and then use heat resistant grout?

Any advice gratefully received...

Sponsored Links
After further research last night, it appears I do not need to purchase specific 'over priced' heat resistant mortar/render for my builders opening and hearth, but, in fact I can mix my own using a mix of hydrated lime, cement and sand (1,1,5).
Any comments/information on this would be very helpful.

heeelllooo and welcome duke666 :D :D :D

are you aware off part"J"
and the need for a class one liner
the need for the work to be done to standard and passed by building control or the hetas installer that fits it

as for the answer to your problem i havent got a clue sorry :cry:

Sponsored Links
Perfectly aware, thank you. I have a HETAS engineer to install the flue and burner. But, I shall be completing the 'mundane' preparation of the hole. Just need to clarify materials.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back