Small Workshop Compressor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Im thinking about getting a compressor for my workshop. Never had one before and know nothing about them.
I am wanting to use an 18g 15-50mm brad nailer, an air blower, and if possible a sprayer.
I am talking about small scale projects....I am not re-spraying cars all day or anything like that.

Been looking in the M/Mart, Axminster catalogues etc at the entry level 25lt compressors around £100. Would this be sufficient?

I dont know what any of the specifications mean or whats good or not....nor which brands are favourable.

Can anybody offer me any guidance?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Before you buy, do take some time to check the air consumption of the tools that you intend to use - this is measured in cfm (cubic feet per minute).
Choose a compressor that can deliver twice that requirement if you can, because the figure stated is not constant air delivery.
The size of the receiver cylinder dictates how long the tool will run without the compressor cutting in again to recharge it.
A spray gun will empty the receiver very quickly indeed, whilst a blow gun will last longer. Forget about using an air wrench or similar.
I prefer piston compressors over diaphragm ones - they are noisier but do charge the receiver up quicker.
Machine Mart stuff is fine (their rubber air lines are not) but SIP is another good one.
Axminster are very good at advice over the phone.
John :)

For putting small brad's in you can get by with a small compressor say 6lt tank and 1.5hp motor if cost is a factor also if weight is a factor as in going on site small is good,but remember the smaller the tank the more it will run then noise could be a factor, then silent compressor is a consideration, its hard to get it right for all occasiones I have a silent compressor but its a pig to take on site It has a 25lt doughnut shaped tank that makes it hard to carry+its a bit to heavy I'm sure others will have more to add

When I needed an air supply on site, I commandeered a propane gas cylinder, and the connection into the valve (called a pig tail)....filled the gas cylinder up to 120 psi (there is a blow off valve set higher than this).
Just the job - especially when the cylinder had vented a few times!
With this, it doesn't matter what size the compressor is - it just takes longer to fill if its a small one.

Sponsored Links
When I needed an air supply on site, I commandeered a propane gas cylinder, and the connection into the valve (called a pig tail)....filled the gas cylinder up to 120 psi (there is a blow off valve set higher than this).
Just the job - especially when the cylinder had vented a few times!
With this, it doesn't matter what size the compressor is - it just takes longer to fill if its a small one.

I would be interested to see a few pic of that very canny

Simple enough really...a pigtail has the left hand thread to suit a propane cylinder, and the other end is ribbed to take a 10mm air hose. Connect this to the compressor.
No regulator needed, naturally. So, propane valve open, start the compressor and when the bottle is full, or up to the pressure you want, the compressor switches off as normal. Then, shut the propane valve, disconnect the compressor and you have a cylinder full of air.
Use the same pigtail (or another one) conneced to the blow gun or whatever and job done.
I'm pretty sure Calor wouldn't like it, but who's to know?

Simple enough really...a pigtail has the left hand thread to suit a propane cylinder, and the other end is ribbed to take a 10mm air hose. Connect this to the compressor.
No regulator needed, naturally. So, propane valve open, start the compressor and when the bottle is full, or up to the pressure you want, the compressor switches off as normal. Then, shut the propane valve, disconnect the compressor and you have a cylinder full of air.
Use the same pigtail (or another one) conneced to the blow gun or whatever and job done.
I'm pretty sure Calor wouldn't like it, but who's to know?

"gotcha" I like that very nifty

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back