Smallest external junction box

There's no need to avoid back or side entries in an outside box normally, the main thing is to make sure there's a drain hole underneath. Unless you're going to be hosing it down, it doesn't need to be completely sealed anyway.

Sponsored Links
The world is full of things which, while they might not be necessary, are nevertheless jolly good to do if you can.

Thanks all. The wiring will come through an airbrick in the eaves to save having to drill through a wall.
So is that where the cable for the old light runs/ran?

What will be your preferred way to conceal/fix/run the extended cable to the wall up to the airbrick?

Sponsored Links
Right, back on computer so can do multiple quotes which is normally a PITA on a smartphone.

I'd rather not have a JB outside, if not only for aesthetic reasons
I've had a look at security lights attached to the houses on our street and the ones behind. None of them have a visible junction box (or conduit for that matter). Either the wire disappears into the wall behind the light (which would be master bedroom in our case), or they travel upwards and disappear into the eaves.

I would have thought a small JB (a black Wiska would be my choice) would fit on the wall behind the light and not be particularly noticeable. Use decent stuffing glands and have both cables going into the box at the bottom and there shouldn't be any water ingress problems.
Yup that's what I was thinking - some kind of small, weatherproof connector.

You could back entry into a conduit end bo
As mentioned above, the wire will be coming out of an airbrick just under the eaves. I'd have nothing to affix that terminal to.

One of these, fixed to the mounting bracket?
Looks good enough that it might work.

I assumed the cable was coming out of the wall and straight into the old light. I know he said it was a run of 5 or 6m but I, perhaps incorrectly, didn’t think that would be all outside.

If it does, my advice still stands, but with a piece of conduit up to where the cable comes out of the wall from the end box mentioned above, another end box and a hole in that one. T+E clipped down an outside wall looks naff - and is bad practice. Changed some a couple of months ago that had been so sun damaged the sun had destroyed the sheath and the insulation was beginning to break down
The run from the fused spur in the loft to the front of the airbrick is maybe 3-4m and then there's another run down the wall of the house. Hence an estimate 5m run. It's 3-core black flex rather than T&E so hopefully a bit more durable.

And it is, but it's the same as any enclosure, so long as you seal it up well enough - could always entirely fill it with some compound.
The LED floodlight bulb can't be replaced so if it stops working, the entire unit will need to be removed. Filling with compound might make that difficult though I see what you're getting at.

So is that where the cable for the old light runs/ran?

What will be your preferred way to conceal/fix/run the extended cable to the wall up to the airbrick?
Yup current security light is run from a fused spur and continuous into the back of the light. The previous owners haven't used anything. I was looking at cable clips.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back