Waterproof junction box - who makes good quality ones?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace an old halogen floodlight but need to cut the current wire that exits via some brickwork and then connect that to the wire on the new LED floodlight.

So I need a waterproof junction box that will handle both the older grey 'rectangular profile' wire and the new black 'round profile' wire - looking on Ebay, Amazon, Screwfix, etc the boxes and connectors all look really cheap and nasty.

I also need it to have lugs/fittings so that I can screw it to the wall.

Who these days makes good quality junction boxes?

Sponsored Links
But put the box over the point where the cable exits the wall, after drilling a 10mm hole in the back. Pack around the cable entry with compound: https://www.superlecdirect.com/r391-electrical-weathproof-compound-2x250g/ (At a push, silicone - but I don't like it!) to ensure its sealed against water ingress. Fit a stuffing gland: https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/products/1521720-20mm-ip68-gland-black into an entry on the lower surface to take the flex to to the lights.

Never rely on the entry membrane the boxes come with, and never enter through the top surface, also twin and earth cable should not be exposed outside

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all of the helpful suggestions.

Think I'll use Wago connectors for the wires but having never used them before which ones should I go for?

Last edited:
And remember to drill a 5mm hole in the bottom.
Good advice - I have some WISKA 108 boxes for the SELV lights in the garden that have water collecting. I am waiting for the warmer weather to go out and drill holes in the bottom of the boxes. I had not expected ingress but the membrane seals are not 100%

Good advice - I have some WISKA 108 boxes for the SELV lights in the garden that have water collecting. I am waiting for the warmer weather to go out and drill holes in the bottom of the boxes. I had not expected ingress but the membrane seals are not 100%
I’ve never trusted membrane seals, for that reason n

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back