smallest rotary pipe cutter ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know of a rotary 15mm copper pipe cutter that is smaller in diameter than the ones you normally see in Screwfix etc ?

I have limited accessibility and turning space underneath the bath floorboards.

Maybe they don't exist but thanks for reading anyway.

Sponsored Links
I don't as such but some time ago I did procure a handle for a standard 15mm rotary cutter that is made out of metal maybe 2mm thick, thus only adding that much to the diameter of the cutter. It clips over the pipe and cutter and gives leverage when trying to turn the cutter manually when otherwise it would be difficult because the pipe is too close to a surface. Not had to use it yet. See https://www.tooled-up.com/monument-ratchet-handle-to-suit-automatic-pipe-cutter/prod/6588/. Whether slimmer rotary cutters exist I don't know.

Thank you both, however I forgot to say that I am approaching the pipe through a hole in the floorboard. This means I can only use a round pipe cutter type that will be turned by me from above the floorboarding. I then will use a pushfit to bring the pipe up. Tricky but I believe do-able.

Sponsored Links
Yes, I am making the hole bigger but it’s not easy. I should be able to drill some holes and get a jigsaw in there. Also, there is a copper pipe running up closely alongside it that connected into a grey push fit none demountable tee piece and I don’t wast to disturb it too much. It’s all do-able but a slim rotary cutter would certainly help ;)

Invest in an oscillating multi tool for cutting your floor board out, especiallly if you say there are services mounted close to the underside of the floor board; a jigsaw will cut through those easily, whereas you can mark the depth of the floor board on the OMT blade and plunge cut to exactly the depth of the board without hitting anything below. An OMT also makes a neater cut/doesn't rag the visible surface unlike typical coarse upwards cutting jigsaw blades, and doesn't need holes drilling at the corners

You can then cut the pipe with a larger, cheaper cutter, or indeed the OMT itself. You can get an OMT for not much more than a good pipe cutter :)

They come in cordless and corded variety, corded being much cheaper and cordless being much more convenient. Use them like you would a normal saw, except slower; fit a wood blade at 90 degrees to the body, turn it on and draw it back and forth in a smooth line on the floor boards. You'll get the hang of it quickly. Keeping the blade moving will stop it overheating the wood and not pressing too hard will reduce the risk that the material gets stuck between the teeth (then the saw just vibrates the material, this is especially likely to happen if you're holding the material in the other hand)

Thanks Robin, some really good things to think about there. Screwfix have a cheap multitool (Titan) that I will probably buy latter.

Has anybody experienced one of these types of rachet pipe cutter. Apparently, you don't need to completely turn it, rather like a rachet screwdriver

Has anybody experienced one of these types of rachet pipe cutter. Apparently, you don't need to completely turn it, rather like a rachet screwdriver

HAve a look at the following image.

The only advantage over a regular pipe slice seems to be that it ratchets.

No but I can't see that it would need any less effort to turn than a non-ratcheted version. Meaning, if there isn't space to get your whole hand round it, you might not be able to exert the necessary torque using just your fingertips. Unless you have extremely strong fingers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back