Smart Meter App

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just downloaded the https://glowmarkt.com/ Bright App to be better monitor my energy onto my Iphone. I think it is supposed to be able to monitor both E and G Smart Meters, but so far it is only working with E. My initial impression is that it works much better than my rather old, rather crude looking Secure Pippit IHD, with it's limited B&W display.

One thing which puzzles me is that my understanding was that my meter's only uploaded their days worth of consumption data, once each day at around midnight to the remote server, yet the App is able to show live data with a 30 minute update, which i assume comes from the server.

Sponsored Links
One thing which puzzles me is that my understanding was that my meter's only uploaded their days worth of consumption data, once each day at around midnight to the remote server, yet the App is able to show live data with a 30 minute update, which i assume comes from the server.

I got it wrong - I had just started the app yesterday, when it seemed to be showing the live, up to the minute data. I must have started the app, just after my meter had done a batch upload of the days worth of data to the server. Looking at it again this morning, it has not updated the consumption data since then. As you were - the meter uploads the days batch of 30 minute data, just once per day.

I got it wrong - I had just started the app yesterday, when it seemed to be showing the live, up to the minute data. I must have started the app, just after my meter had done a batch upload of the days worth of data to the server. Looking at it again this morning, it has not updated the consumption data since then. As you were - the meter uploads the days batch of 30 minute data, just once per day.

and I was still wrong...

The consumption data seems to be updated at very irregular intervals. At the time I am typing this, 19:30, it is showing consumption data, at 30 minutes intervals, up to 17:00 today.

Sponsored Links
You will be limited by however often your particular meter sends data. It won't be anything like real time.
Gas will be much slower, as the gas meter is battery powered and only sends data at intervals to extend battery life.

Real time devices will be available at some point, this being one of them: https://octopus.energy/blog/octopus-home-mini/

You will be limited by however often your particular meter sends data. It won't be anything like real time.
Gas will be much slower, as the gas meter is battery powered and only sends data at intervals to extend battery life.

Gas meter sends it's updates to the electric meter every 15 minutes, the electric meter then sends it's data to the server - The last I heard was that happened as a batch, once every 24 hours, but that part is obviously wrong.

I've just downloaded the https://glowmarkt.com/ Bright App to be better monitor my energy onto my Iphone. I think it is supposed to be able to monitor both E and G Smart Meters, but so far it is only working with E.

A few exchanges of email with Glowmarkt and they have now manages to sort the hiccup with the gas out - mostly. Only 'mostly', because like my IHD it only shows consumption for the Month, Week and Day, but none for the hour, or 30 minute.

[EDIT] Between my beginning to type this and now - all of graphs for gas consumption began to display properly in the App, though not on the IHD.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back