Smart Meters - tapping in to log?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone spotted an Opensource method for tapping into my Smart Meters to log and record consumption, using something like a Raspberry Pi please? My meters are of 'Secure' manufacture and I cannot see an obvious P1 port on the E meter, nor on the IHD.

Just to be clear - I'm not interested at in methods which just log the pulses of the red LED, nor in adding pickups around the meter tails, rather I want to access both gas and electric consumption data.

Sponsored Links
I've just wondered how reliable they are as even before increased prices I'm pretty sure ours jumped as our meter was installed

I've just wondered how reliable they are as even before increased prices I'm pretty sure ours jumped as our meter was installed

I've had two lots of meters, with now fifth supplier and I carefully log readings. I have never known any errors, other than meter compatibility issues with changed suppliers.

There is no current device that can do this locally.

The whole smart meter ecosystem is meant to support user end devices that can pull data directly from the HAN but noone has released on yet. An example would be a dishwasher that integrates with the HAN. Some should be comming soon.

So currently, the data from the meter has to go to your supplier who then may make it available through an API. There are also 3rd party services that will do it for a small fee.

So the options are to so the above, wait for it all to be working properly, or do your own metering with a clamp.

Sponsored Links
Or move to a supplier who logs your consumption and shares the data.

Back