Smart Meter IHD - gas update frequency

Sponsored Links
Like what?

It's pointless unless you intend comparing one tumble dryer for another tumble dryer or one tele for another tele and so on. You either use what you have in the house or you don't lol. Why the preoccupation with what individual items consume, second by second?
...other reasons which have a point, can include:

-Finding out how much energy an appliance uses, so that you can make a more informed decision, by comparing that with the energy use of a potential replacement, whether or not to replace it, and what to replace it with.

-Finding out whether it's worth the bother to turn things off, or leave them on standby

-Having some information to share in response to being subtly sneered at for refusing to be ignorant of your energy use

Having said all that, my experience is that IHD's are slow, unresponsive and inaccurate - I use mine as an indicator, rather than a measure, of what's going on.

-Finding out how much energy an appliance uses, so that you can make a more informed decision, by comparing that with the energy use of a potential replacement, whether or not to replace it, and what to replace it with.

-Finding out whether it's worth the bother to turn things off, or leave them on standby

-Having some information to share in response to being subtly sneered at for refusing to be ignorant of your energy use

Having said all that, my experience is that IHD's are slow, unresponsive and inaccurate - I use mine as an indicator, rather than a measure, of what's going on.
I find the quarterly bill useful feed-back. (y)

Sponsored Links
My Smart Meters and IHD, are Secure. I'm involved in a discussion on another forum, about how frequently the gas consumption Kw is updated, on the IHD. My IHD consumption, if the consumption actually does vary, seems to change/update in the display, around every minute. Electric seems more frequent, at maybe every 10 seconds.

Everyone seems to have the idea, that the gas meter only sends updates to the electric meter (and hence the IHD), once every 30 minutes. The idea being, that the gas meter is battery powered, so can only support transmitting it's data on, every 30 minutes - yet I am seeing the IHD change it's gas consumption around every minute-ish. Another theory offered, was that my IHD, is simply showing an averaged value, but that doesn't fit either, because the sequential values, can go up, down, and back up, plus... If I light a gas hob, it reflects very quickly in the reading of consumption, as does turning it back off.
Mine is half hourly, not sure how old it is, plastic oblong box, two buttons one red one green, in the garage.
One annoyance is the half hour starts about 1/4 past the hour.
And yes I use it to check gas consumption of various appliances and improve the efficiency of our heating settings AND surprisingly get a heads up on the months forthcoming gas bill. Next time I am in the garage I will see what make it is.

Mine is half hourly, not sure how old it is, plastic oblong box, two buttons one red one green, in the garage.
One annoyance is the half hour starts about 1/4 past the hour.
And yes I use it to check gas consumption of various appliances and improve the efficiency of our heating settings AND surprisingly get a heads up on the months forthcoming gas bill. Next time I am in the garage I will see what make it is.
You can do all that without minute-by-minute updates on real time consumption, lol. You don't need a gadget to tell you the electric shower uses loads and turning the thermostat down saves you pennies.

you 100% need a plug in monitor
example new tv bells and whistles that i dont need as out off internet range it consumes 22w as described goes to standby and 0.4w buuuuttt occasionally around 10w as i assume searching for internet connection or services so reset to factory settings and disable or remove all except needed for connecting to a freeview recorder box and tv aeiriel this brings down to around 15w and i unplug when off in case off still using random 10w

further saving i got it down 12-13 w by reducing backlight 'brilliance and playing with controls you can only find these thing out with only one item connected
as an aside dont leave with the menu open as it uses 2 or 3 watts so after each series off actions check the monitor after say 10 or so mins to allow the chip or whatever to stop needing power for control functions to get the actual on consumption

3 less than 2 year old tvs swapped one from 44w old tv now 14w average one 22w now 10w the third 22 now 11w

Last edited:
you 100% need a plug in monitor
example new tv bells and whistles that i dont need as out off internet range it consumes 22w as described goes to standby and 0.4w buuuuttt occasionally around 10w as i assume searching for internet connection or services so reset to factory settings and disable or remove all except needed for connecting to a freeview recorder box and tv aeiriel this brings down to around 15w and i unplug when off in case off still using random 10w

If it comes to that, rather than switch everything off, except the item I am curious about - I have and use a plug in monitor, which just monitors the current of that one appliance.

Sponsored Links
Back