Smart Meter IHD - gas update frequency

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Smart Meters and IHD, are Secure. I'm involved in a discussion on another forum, about how frequently the gas consumption Kw is updated, on the IHD. My IHD consumption, if the consumption actually does vary, seems to change/update in the display, around every minute. Electric seems more frequent, at maybe every 10 seconds.

Everyone seems to have the idea, that the gas meter only sends updates to the electric meter (and hence the IHD), once every 30 minutes. The idea being, that the gas meter is battery powered, so can only support transmitting it's data on, every 30 minutes - yet I am seeing the IHD change it's gas consumption around every minute-ish. Another theory offered, was that my IHD, is simply showing an averaged value, but that doesn't fit either, because the sequential values, can go up, down, and back up, plus... If I light a gas hob, it reflects very quickly in the reading of consumption, as does turning it back off.

Sponsored Links
My Smart Meters and IHD, are Secure. I'm involved in a discussion on another forum, about how frequently the gas consumption Kw is updated, on the IHD. My IHD consumption, if the consumption actually does vary, seems to change/update in the display, around every minute. Electric seems more frequent, at maybe every 10 seconds.

Everyone seems to have the idea, that the gas meter only sends updates to the electric meter (and hence the IHD), once every 30 minutes. The idea being, that the gas meter is battery powered, so can only support transmitting it's data on, every 30 minutes - yet I am seeing the IHD change it's gas consumption around every minute-ish. Another theory offered, was that my IHD, is simply showing an averaged value, but that doesn't fit either, because the sequential values, can go up, down, and back up, plus... If I light a gas hob, it reflects very quickly in the reading of consumption, as does turning it back off.
Jezus H Christ! Surely you don't need second by second updates on your consumption? Put that daft gadget in cupboard (along with the bread-maker) and enjoy your life.

Sponsored Links
To what end? You still need to boil the kettle or run the washing machine. Your monthly or quarterly bill will tell you how much it all costs, lol.

There are many other reasons, to know what consumes what, than concerns over the eventual energy bill.

to know what consumes what
I checked appliance consumptions the first day I had a smart meter. They're unlikely to change. I've not felt the urge to re-check frequently. My IHD stays unplugged most of the time.

Everyone seems to have the idea, that the gas meter only sends updates to the electric meter (and hence the IHD), once every 30 minutes
Every bit of information I have read about gas meter data sending, has suggested a frequency of 30 minutes...

What I'm unsure of - does the 1/2 hourly data burst send a single reading to the IHD, or could it send a stream of data to be replayed with a 30 minute lag (probably a silly idea!)?

Last edited:
plug in meters are far more accurate as you only read the item concerned no fridge or freezer no tv or games console no booster or router no lights no chargers to give over readings

Every bit of information I have read about gas meter data sending, has suggested a frequency of 30 minutes...

What I'm unsure of - does the 1/2 hourly data burst send a single reading to the IHD, or could it send a stream of data to be replayed with a 30 minute lag (probably a silly idea!)?

This how I understood it, but it is not born out by the evidence of my own eyes. Turn on a gas hob ring, and within a minute or so, its reflected in the IHD gas consumption, within a minute or two - which is what I cannot understand, if it only sends a packet of data every 30 minutes.

I spotted this anomaly, many years ago, when I first had the smarts installed, then just put the IHD in the drawer. I've plugged in recently and given it more attention, simply because of my move to the Tracker.

This how I understood it, but it is not born out by the evidence of my own eyes
Can you move the IHD to a place close enough to monitor the actual meter concurrently?

If your meter is sending data at a higher frequency, maybe the battery on your meter won't last quite as long as those in other meters?

Can you move the IHD to a place close enough to monitor the actual meter concurrently?

If your meter is sending data at a higher frequency, maybe the battery on your meter won't last quite as long as those in other meters?

My meters are in outdoor cabinets, alongside the drive, but I have an outdoor socket close. I suppose when we have some decent weather I could try that, but I'm not sure how to get an instantaneous consumption value on the gas meter.

There are many other reasons, to know what consumes what, than concerns over the eventual energy bill.
Like what?

It's pointless unless you intend comparing one tumble dryer for another tumble dryer or one tele for another tele and so on. You either use what you have in the house or you don't lol. Why the preoccupation with what individual items consume, second by second?

Sponsored Links
Back