Smart meter In Home Display IHD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It seems that IHDs are failing across the country when you move supplier. First time we moved SSE to EDF there was no problem the IHD kept showing our usage but the price was wrong. I suspect EDF didn't bother to load their tariff onto the IHD. Next time, now, we moved to EONnext and the IHD is no longer getting the signal from the meter. All the suppliers blame the. IHD saying it's too far or out of date etc. Or you have the wrong type of meter - this is just delaying tactics because they are in a mess!!
I think it's to do with pairing the device to the meter. When a supplier takes over a smart meter they try to load their own details and it all goes wrong. I don't know how the process works - maybe they have to rely on some network people called DCC.
Does anybody know how the IHD is paired to the meter - it must have a unique ID or something ? And it must be done from the smart meter end? Any smart meter installers out there ?

Sponsored Links
Does anyone actually look at the display? I never used to bother watching our old meter spin wildly when the missus was drying her hair, the tumble dryer was at full bore whilst the eldest was trying to shower away a layer of skin. I'm even less interested in seeing it forensically explained why we waste electric.

Smart meters are designed to do away with the pointless faff of the old ones and they do that brilliantly.

I had a SMETS2 meter fitted by Bulb. I switched to PFP (mistake) and the IHD stopped working - it would continuously reboot itself. PFP, being a very small supplier, initially put me forward for an engineer visit to get things working. I don't think they ever even knew I had a smart meter - they certainly never took readings from it. A couple of days later, they went out of business. I'm now with British Gas, but I have very, very little faith in them ever even remotely reading my meter, never mind making my IHD work. I haven't tried yet, because over 3 months since PFP went bust, they still havent fully set up my account and my credit I had with PFP remains in the ether...

I agree that the smart meter part is the more important item if the supplier can read it - otherwise they ask you to read it and that is not easy as you have to get closer and press buttons to work the display etc. Anyway some meters are remote and difficult to read so an IHD helps.

Sponsored Links
Samsung Smartthings (smart home integration) and Drayton Wiser (smart heating) can now use data from a smart meter within their apps to provided info and prediction etc.

I think some IHDs have a WiFi option that allows you to pull the data into apps in your smart phone , tablet or pc from the IHD.

Samsung Smartthings (smart home integration) and Drayton Wiser (smart heating) can now use data from a smart meter within their apps to provided info and prediction etc.
We have a new Vaillant coupled to VSmart controls and ALL our gas bills have been lower since the install. Don't know whether it's the controls or boiler efficiency, but it's a boon.

Hmm, looks like it's certain IHDs. I read not so long ago that the protocol was all proprietry, but I guess they are moving towards fixing that.

Smart meters are designed to do away with the pointless faff of the old ones and they do that brilliantly.

Mine hasn't worked since January and I have been waiting a year for an engineer from British Gas to take a look.
I suspect it won't ever get fixed, and from what I've heard they very usually stop working every time you change supplier.

We have a new Vaillant coupled to VSmart controls and ALL our gas bills have been lower since the install. Don't know whether it's the controls or boiler efficiency, but it's a .

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a new Vaillant coupled to VSmart controls and ALL our gas bills have been lower since the install. Don't know whether it's the controls or boiler efficiency, but it's a boon.
I suspect it will be boiler efficiency, unless you've drastically altered the times you have the heating on. Although if you've connected the controller and boiler via OpenTherm and the boiler is on for longer but at a lower temperature, that is said to help.

Smart heating as a single zone is not that smart

I suspect it will be boiler efficiency, unless you've drastically altered the times you have the heating on. Although if you've connected the controller and boiler via OpenTherm and the boiler is on for longer but at a lower temperature, that is said to help.

Smart heating as a single zone is not that smart
Apparently VSmart is linked to the weather and stuff and is meant to deliver efficiency as one of its functions.

Apparently VSmart is linked to the weather and stuff and is meant to deliver efficiency as one of its functions.
Yes mine does that (Drayton Wiser). It should work out how long it takes to warm up a room and factor in how cold it will be outside.

Unless you have historic charts of gas usage and external temperatures and can compare the current year to others, its difficult to know if the algorithm is making an improvement. It's been quite warm here for the past few months for instance, so less gas used based on that alone.

A large number of people especially older people ask for those controls to be disconnected and go back to standard stuff . They want it to feel hot when they turn it on and go off when they turn it off

Sponsored Links
Back