A Warning To Many - They Are Not Your Mates = Energy Companies/Smart Meters

I also believe that profit maximising companies will do all they can to increase profits
Doing away with manual meter readers helps. Too much time wasted and human error to boot.(y)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Could See
The term uber-style is meaningless and just invented. The grid has some capacity to provide power. It can't supply any more so there would be no point in varying charges based on load. It can suply no more than it does. They do have one problem - sudden surges and time taken to get generators up and running. That is what Dinorwig is for but battery storage is being used more and more. If total wind we will need a lot of that. Probably not feasible so some greens will accept nuclear. :( Not the UK ones though.
Basically what they are saying is that you could save money with off peak usage. Nothing new there.

Doing away with manual meter readers helps. Too much time wasted and human error to boot.(y)

Yeah, I can see that not needing to pay people to read meters will help to reduce overheads (marginally).

Sponsored Links
Yeah, I can see that not needing to pay people to read meters will help to reduce overheads (marginally).
It's not just their wages, you know. Removing the human equation saves a lot. Humans make mistakes and are clumsy and greedy. Machines are neither.

Could See
The term uber-style is meaningless and just invented. The grid has some capacity to provide power. It can't supply any more so there would be no point in varying charges based on load. It can suply no more than it does. They do have one problem - sudden surges and time taken to get generators up and running. That is what Dinorwig is for but battery storage is being used more and more. If total wind we will need a lot of that. Probably not feasible so some greens will accept nuclear. :( Not the UK ones though.

You mention capacity, as in the ability to increase capacity on demand but with time lags. I get that but, seriously, sudden surges? When do we witness such surges? Don't they have software/algorithms that are pretty accurate at anticipating such surges? I fully appreciate that no algorithm is perfect.

The term Uber-style has now entered the lexicon. It is a reference to surge pricing. Demand increases, in theory supply should increase to meet demand but companies like Uber use it as an excuse to price gouge. Uber will inflate the price and take their 15%(?) commission, in the meantime, other firms will provide the same service at their regular price.

Simply providing more energy for kettles during the advert break for coronation street should be anticipated and not an excuse to increase costs. That is the way that tax dodging companies such as Uber operate.

Dinorwig is operated not only to help meet peak loads but also as a short term operating reserve (STOR), providing a fast response to short-term rapid changes in power demand or sudden loss of power stations. In a common scenario (known as TV pickup), the end of a popular national television programme or advertising breaks in commercial television programmes results in millions of consumers switching on electric kettles in the space of a few minutes, leading to overall demand increases of up to 2800 MW.[7] In anticipation of this surge, an appropriate number of units at Dinorwig (or other services competing for National Grid Reserve Service duty) may be brought on line as the closing credits start to roll. The monitoring of popular television channels is an important factor in electricity grid control centres.

Must admit that electricity from that does cost more after a fashion but it's only intended for that sort of use. The loss is pumping water into the reservoir first.

House wiring design has a similar design idea called diversity - not all is switched on at the same time.

eg
For another example a 32 Amp ring final circuit for standard 13 amp socket-outlets, every socket-outlet on the circuit are very unlikely to all be used at the same time, therefore the On-Site Guide offers a diversity factor calculation which maybe applied to this circuit.

Meaning there can be more 13amp sockets than the 32amp supply suggests.

The national grid is similar - in simple terms anyway but it still has a max load that can't be exceeded.

I suppose they could offer things like economy 7 via a smart meter but people want to heat houses any time they need to. Hence my comments about storage heaters. That can shift when the heating load is drawn from the mains but I can't imagine one that doesn't loose heat when heat is not wanted and they are bulky.

Back