How much does EON want to install a smart meter

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had the email today. EON wants to install a smart meter.

We need to install smart meters into all of our customers' homes as part of a nationwide upgrade programme. The good news is they have great benefits for you:
No need to provide meter readings, they're sent to us automatically
No more estimated bills1
See how much energy you're using and what it's costing you, with a helpful in-home display.
Book an appointment to get your meter now. It'll only take about an hour to fit your meter, and we'll only need to switch your power off for about 30 minutes.

I have an old consumer box and want it replaced, ideally before I start my building work in April. So I replied, asking if they'd replace it at the same time. Makes sense, as I assume they need to switch the power off to do this?

What are the chances they say, "yeah, sure"?
I want one with plenty of circuits, so when I build a new kitchen and lounge, I can have new circuits for those (lights, sockets, oven). Also want a socket in the cupboard where I keep the consumer unit, so I can hide a CCTV drive in there.

Sponsored Links
The supplier will have nothing to do with your installation.

Do a search, here and internet, and you may decide you do not want a smart meter.

... I have an old consumer box and want it replaced, ideally before I start my building work in April. So I replied, asking if they'd replace it at the same time. Makes sense, as I assume they need to switch the power off to do this? ... What are the chances they say, "yeah, sure"?
As you've been told, the supplier will not replace your consumer unit - you need to get an electrician to do that.

In relation to the title of your message, if (having looked at the arguments) you decide that you really do want/need smart meters, then E.ON should not charge anything for providing and installing them. As a matter of interest, do you have a reason for wanting smart meters?

If you do decide to go down that route, it would be worth asking E.ON if they could install isolators at the time of installing the smart meters. In that way an electrician could subsequently replace the consumer units without having to get the DNO to temporarily disconnect the supply (remove the service fuse) whilst that work was being done.

Kind regards, John

I don't want one at all! But was just thinking, would they agree to updating my consumer unit if it meant getting their smart meter in?
I like the idea of the switch. But now I'm thinking, do I already have that switch? There is an RCD that is separate from the main unit, maybe that makes things easier for an electrician already...

Sponsored Links
I don't want one at all! But was just thinking, would they agree to updating my consumer unit if it meant getting their smart meter in?
As I've said, they won't/can't do anything about your consumer unit, but if you don't want a smart meter, just 'decline their offer'!
I like the idea of the switch. But now I'm thinking, do I already have that switch? There is an RCD that is separate from the main unit, maybe that makes things easier for an electrician already...
If there is a standalone RCD between meter and CU then, yes, that could probably be used as an isolator by an electrician working on the CU.

Kind Regards, John

• Thanks
Reactions: JP_
"We need to install smart meters into all of our customers' homes as part of a nationwide upgrade programme."

That first sentence is a LIE. They don't "need" to install them at all. They "want" to install them. They are NOT free either. We all pay through increased bills.

EON said:
The good news is they have great benefits for you:
No need to provide meter readings, they're sent to us automatically
Unless there is no signal, interference from something, the database is corrupted, the meter fails, is hacked into, etc.

EON said:
No more estimated bills
I haven't ever had an estimated energy bill.

EON said:
See how much energy you're using and what it's costing you, with a helpful in-home display.
That information changes nothing. How about this:
Let's cook dinner in the oven.
Oven turned on.
Oh look - loads of expensive electricity being used.
Choice A - continue as before
Choice B - no dinner.

EON said:
Book an appointment to get your meter now. It'll only take about an hour to fit your meter, and we'll only need to switch your power off for about 30 minutes.
An hour of wasted time is not a benefit to anyone. Neither is having no power.

That first sentence is a LIE

Actually, it's not quite a lie; the government have told them they've got to upgrade everyone by 2020 I think it is, so that's why they're starting the underhand tactics, to reach their target. The caveat is that you don't have to have one, so technically, saying that they need to install them, is actually true. They've been crafty not telling him that he can refuse.

"We need to install smart meters into all of our customers' homes as part of a nationwide upgrade programme."

That first sentence is a LIE. They don't "need" to install them at all. They "want" to install them. They are NOT free either. We all pay through increased bills.

It's government legislation that the big 6 are pressured into getting them installed, therefore they do 'need' to get them installed.

Nozzle

What I currently have. DidD the switch on the left isolate the fuse box?
IMG_20180201_222857813.jpg

What I currently have. DidD the switch on the left isolate the fuse box?
Do you mean the big one immediately to the left of the fuse box? If so, I presume it's an RCD (can't read the writing), in which case the answer would be 'yes'.

Kind Regards, John

However, If you have a new consumer unit you won't really want to keep that RCD so -

back to square one.

However, If you have a new consumer unit you won't really want to keep that RCD so - back to square one.
Whilst that is true, one could keep the RCD, to be used just as an isolator. Even if the RCD ('tripping') functionality failed, it is very likely that it could still be used as an isolator. Mind you, it's a pretty enormous animal!

Although there were admittedly also other reasons, when I moved to having all final circuits protected by RCDs/RCBOs in my TT installation, I nevertheless retained the upfront time-delayed RCDs as isolators.

Kind Regards, John

One other thing they have not told you.

If you decide to change supplier all the smart functions will no longer work.

One other thing they have not told you.

If you decide to change supplier all the smart functions will no longer work.
whilst i suspect your answer will be 100% or close to they may have in the meantime got there act together a bit and be perhaps a 10% chance will now be compatable but probably not:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back