You need a smart meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Seems the power companies are resorting to scare mongering to get people to have smart meter installed . Excerpt from recent email .

We’re getting in touch to let you know that your electricity meter is going to be impacted by the planned BBC RTS switch off (we’ll explain this below) on 31/03/2024, meaning that it’s time for it to be replaced.
Please book your free appointment today. We need to get your meter replaced before the service is disconnected.”

Sponsored Links
If you are on an E7 tariff which currently uses a radio teleswitch then as that excerpt states the controlling service will become non functional at some date, although the quoted date is being bandied about, I believe it is not yet set in stone.
The effect will be the E7 tariff will not be metered correctly as the signal changing to cheap rate will cease to exist and therefore not change over.

The service provider will be under obligation to maintain your current tariff and therefore alter the hardware in your property, I assume their only solution will be a smart meter and therefore your only option to remain on the tariff.

If you are not on the E7 tariff (or some other version of it) as I understand it you are under no obligation to accept a smart meter.

Sponsored Links

From the horse's mouth though it's expected to continue to December 2025. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66644709

It was used for Environment Agency Flood Alerts (e.g. setting off sirens around Norfolk). That has all been replaced with Flood Alert warning via SMS, e-mail etc.,. (plus local radio/national radio broadcasts) for some time now.
Around 1 million meters to be replaced in just over 2 years, doesn't sound that premature to start planning replacements.

So you don't need to have a Smart meter if you don't want a cheap tariff.

I have wondered about economy 7, as grid use is mainly between 11 PM and 9 AM. But not gathered enough data to work out if I would save, I not the inverter can be set to charge batteries at night, but how long there will be cheap night rate is debateable, so is it worth getting a Smart meter for off peak tariffs?

So Energy sent a retraction shortly afterwards saying it was sent in error.

I've just told Shell that the answer is "NO" again
As I often say, I'm not so sure about all this 'customer choice' stuff we hear in relation to 'smart' meters.

As I've said before) and although I can't find a copy of it at present), I'm sure that my Contract / 'Service Agreement' / whatever with my supplier includes my agreement to their installing whatever "metering and other equipment" (or something like that) in my house as the see fit in order to continue providing me with an electricity supply.

In other words, I don't think I could say 'no'.

I have wondered about economy 7, as grid use is mainly between 11 PM and 9 AM. But not gathered enough data to work out if I would save, I not the inverter can be set to charge batteries at night, but how long there will be cheap night rate is debateable, so is it worth getting a Smart meter for off peak tariffs?

I think we will eventually move away from it being as simple as night is one rate, and day is another.

I'm on octopus agile, and the prices vary depending on the wholesale energy price. https://agileprices.co.uk/ generally nights are cheap, but so is early afternoon on a lot of days. If you can avoid using much between 16:00 and 19:00 it can generally be quite good. I'm averaging 18/19p a unit atm, but I did have one day where I used 40 kwh and averaged just over 5p a unit (and most of the usage was early afternoon)

I think we will eventually move away from it being as simple as night is one rate, and day is another.
I'm sure it's more than just 'thinking', since that is one of thee main reasons for having 'smart' meters (which are infinitely less 'smart'; than the majority of electronic thingies around thee days. Ultimately, they will probably control, rather than just meter, the use of electricity(i.e. when appliances come on), but that will require availability and widespread deployment of 'smart appliances' (and very probably yet another round of 'replacing the meters' - so I can't see it happening in my lifetime!

Kind Regards, John

What else would you expect them to replace it with if you still need multi-rate?
Well there also exist "dumb" meters with time clocks. Whether the suppliers can be convinced to fit one of those instead of a smart meter I do not know.

So you don't need to have a Smart meter if you don't want a cheap tariff.

in general off peak means greater costs to normal units
now with solar now involved there may be further hurdles to try and rebalance the overall picture i simply dont know
so would suggest further research would be a good idea as further hurdles may reduce savings overnight to a not worth the effort situation ??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back