Meter replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got the following from OVO. Am I obliged to have the meter replaced? I don't want the spying/tracking of smart meters. I want to stick with the old meter if I can. Any views?

We need to let you know your electricity meter’s certification has expired.
The certification is a guarantee that your meter’s working as it should. So, right now, we can’t be certain it’s measuring your readings accurately, which could cause inaccurate bills. This means we need to replace your current meter as soon as possible.

Book your free smart meter appointment​

Traditional meters are being phased out, so your replacement will be a smart meter. You can make an appointment for a new one online or over the phone. The installation usually only takes our engineers around 90 minutes.

Sponsored Links

BUT some tariffs - insist on a smart meter - at least they did before the energy hype
Internet only tariffs and Smart meter tariffs existed - I always made sure i did not have a smart meter or a tariff that made smart meter compulsary
I have also registered with my supplier i do not want one , and have to tell them every 6 mths NO ,.. - which i have made a formal complaint

I have also registered with my supplier i do not want one , and have to tell them every 6 mths NO ,.. - which i have made a formal complaint
I just ignored them in the past. But this time they seem more assertive. I will ignore them again and see what they will do.

Sponsored Links
I just ignored them in the past. But this time they seem more assertive. I will ignore them again and see what they will do.

I think you have to let them chance the meter when they need to because its gone out of calibration (not least because if you later had an issue with it over reading they can turn round and say that they did want to swap it out...)

But you don't havce to have a smart meter, you can insist that they replace it with another dumb meter, unfortunatly the way things are organised (or lack of organised) that might mean you have to send away serveral meter fitters who turn up in vans stocked with only smart meters before they manage to do it!

Well, they don't have any dumb meters:

Getting your meter replaced when it’s certification runs out​

As we can’t recertify you meter, when it’s current certification ends we’ll get in touch to arrange a meter replacement, free of charge. We replace expired meters with new, next-generation smart ones also known as SMETS2. Traditional meters aren’t available in the UK as they are no longer being manufactured, which is why we will replace your expired meter with a smart one.

These second-generation Smart meters allow you to switch suppliers without needing a meter upgrade. They can also help you track your usage - by sending us daily or even half-hourly usage data which you can view on the ‘Usage’ page of your online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS). Check out the great guides below for more details on the benefits:

Well, they don't have any dumb meters:
Has it occurred to you they are lying? The whole smart meter rollout has been based on lies. This is just another one.

Even if they have no new ones they could recalibrate an old one. How else could they comply with the rule that you can refuse a smart meter ?

Dont get caught up in the scared of smart reader brigade. They are fine. Dont worry...

In that case, you get what you are given and like it.
Or have no electricity.
Are you aware of any actual instances of people having their electricity disconnected and/or having their property broken into and the meter replaced for not cooperating in the meter replacement process?

That doesn't seem to answer my question, which is has there been any known case of a supplier taking further action when a customer simply fails to cooperate with the meter replacement process, but otherwise remains in good standing (allows the meter to be read, pays their bills etc).

The 'spying' consists of the meter reading being sent to the supplier every half hour.
That is all.
A close to real time detector of if anyone's home. Isn't that all enough? If they plot it on a chart, they will know in advance no one will be in from 11am to 4pm on tuesdays. How much is this worth to people who buy this kind of info? When there is profit, there is a way to make that profit.

Last edited:
Are you aware of any actual instances of people having their electricity disconnected and/or having their property broken into and the meter replaced for not cooperating in the meter replacement process?
Have you not been watching the news recently?
Admittedly for debt, but...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back