You need a smart meter

Sponsored Links
..... We’re getting in touch to let you know that your electricity meter is going to be impacted by the planned BBC RTS switch off (we’ll explain this below) on 31/03/2024, meaning that it’s time for it to be replaced. Please book your free appointment today. We need to get your meter replaced before the service is disconnected.”
I also got one of those e-mails today from the supplier ('OVO Energy', ex EDF) for a house I own, which doesn't have dual-rate tariff, let alone a teleswitch - and,, ironically, already has a 'smart' meter'!! - so, an inappropriate message for at least three reasons!

However, that e=mail was fairly rapidly followed by a second one, apologising for having sent the first one 'in error' !

Kind Regards

Last edited:
Well there also exist "dumb" meters with time clocks. Whether the suppliers can be convinced to fit one of those instead of a smart meter I do not know.
Although my meter is technically 'dumb' (doesn't have any communication capabilities), it theoretically has umpteen TOU registers available, of which two are being used for my E7 tariff. I don't know what it does about 'timings' - I imagine it probably just relies on it's internal clock? ('ll have a look at the manual and find out!

Kind Regards, John

Actually its more sinister than that. The goal is different pricing at all times of the day depending on usage - mainly to charge people more when they are cooking their dinners.
I don't think it's primarily a matter of making more money, not the least because I don't think the regulator would tolerate that - it'smore a question of giving consumers a financial incentive to use electricity at lower-demand times of day (which, if they do it, would save them money).

As I understand it, they would only be able to increase the cost of energy at certain times of day to above the 'cap' if there were a compensatory reduction to below the 'cap' at other times of day.

Sponsored Links
It was my understanding that the main justification for keeping a long wave broadcast station was the shipping forecast. Not sure exactly what replaces that these days.
I found (from a few months ago) ...
The Shipping Forecast will cease to be broadcast four times a day, and will instead be available via the Radio 4 FM simulcast twice a day (weekdays) and three times a day (weekends) as well as on DAB and BBC Sounds. It will also continue to be broadcast via HM Coastguard's channels.
Shipping forecasts are also published on thee Met Office's website at least once every day.

Kind Regards, John

I would expect the individual switch on's to be also staggered over time, they would not want them all suddenly coming on at the same precise instant.
Indeed. In the case of electromechanical time switches, I have no idea whether it is true, but I was once told that those installing and 'setting' them were told not to make any attempt to set the time very accurately but, rather, to set them to the 'approximate' time - the idea being that the resultant variation would achieve at least some 'staggering'.

Some sudden large changes in demand (such as at the end of Coronation Street or a 'big football match') obviously cannot be staggered - so they have to try to 'anticipate' such events!

Kind Regards, John

I also got one of those e-mails today from the supplier ('OVO Energy', ex EDF) for a house I own, which doesn't have dual-rate tariff, let alone a teleswitch - and,, ironically, already has a 'smart' meter'!! - so, an inappropriate message for at least three reasons!
However, that e=mail was fairly rapidly followed by a second one, apologising for having sent the first one 'in error' !
I've just receive another essentially identical pair of e-mails from "So Energy (ex-ESB) relating to my own house, which has E7, but no teleswitch and a 'dumb' meter. Again, the second e-mail apologised for the first having been sent 'in error'.

It seems that these e-mails are 'catching' ;)

Kind Regards, John

Recently had a smart meter as we have an EV now.

7.5p between 23:30 and 05:30.

Just put the dishwasher and washing machine on, as they can have the same rate.

Recently had a smart meter as we have an EV now. 7.5p between 23:30 and 05:30. Just put the dishwasher and washing machine on, as they can have the same rate.
Very good for you!

As I often remind people, these very attractive TOU tariffs only work so long as only a minority of people' enjoy them (so, in some senses, it can be said that they are being sort-of 'subsidised' by everyone else). If a relatively high proportion of consumers moved to such tariffs (and made high use of the currently 'cheap period' electricity) that would turn the 'low demand' time of day into a 'high demand' period, whereupon it presumably would not stay cheap for very long!

Kind Regards, John

Around 1 million meters to be replaced in just over 2 years, doesn't sound that premature to start planning replacements.
Too late, actually - that's 2000/day, every working day, for 2 years. No chance.

As I often say, I'm not so sure about all this 'customer choice' stuff we hear in relation to 'smart' meters.

As I've said before) and although I can't find a copy of it at present), I'm sure that my Contract / 'Service Agreement' / whatever with my supplier includes my agreement to their installing whatever "metering and other equipment" (or something like that) in my house as the see fit in order to continue providing me with an electricity supply.

In other words, I don't think I could say 'no'.
Build a Faraday cage around it, then it won't be so smart.

Once again; it makes no difference to the suppliers whether you have a smart meter or not.

IT IS THE GOVERNMENT making the rules. At present you do not have to have one - but obviously it won't be long.

As the underlying longwave service isn't being shut down in March 2024 I can't believe this RTS shutdown would be saving much money. As with removing Test Match Special from longwave, I assume the idea is to degrade the service to the point where people stop using it, then shut it down "because nobody is using it".
Don't our nuclear subs use it? More than X days of no R4 on long wave = the country now a glob of luminous glass?

Build a Faraday cage around it, then it won't be so smart.
No need for mw to build one in my house, since it already has one 'built in'. I presume primarily because of the considerable thickness of the walls, it's all-but-impossible to get a GSM signal anywhere inside my house, particularly in the vicinity of my electricity meter!

Since we can't get VHF only radio is MW, LW or internet. And so we moved to internet, it is mainly due to use of AM why it costs, use SSB or digital (like Morse code) and the power needed drops.

Radio hams pride themselves in talking to USA with less than a watt, OK not 24/7 but it can be done.

Maybe masts do need renewing and some work is required, but if they simply removed the relay in the smart meter then it would not really be a problem.

I would have no qualms about having one fitted if relay removed, and low night rate would suit me, as during the day we get solar.

But rather than silly adds with freddy Boswell look alike, would be better to simply say if you get a smart meter night time electric will cost less.

I lived through the winter of discontent, so no way would I go for heat pumps and the like, I want heating which does not rely on grid supply.

I remember being cold, we has gas heating, but no electric and gas boilers don't work, so we have open fire and a 3.5 kWh battery.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back