Meter replacement

I could be on the phone 24/7, for the entire month, at no extra cost.
You could but you don't. I estimate on average you make 5 calls a month. £6 / 5 = £1.20 per call. You think that's a good deal as would the phone company. They have done all the calculations already and know what their profit rate is. In contrast, at 3.4p a smart meter call, the energy companies are getting a bargain.

Sponsored Links
tens of millions of meters 'called home' every 30 minutes, let alone every microsecond, I suspect the GSM networks would probably be overwhelmed
But tens of millions of humans can watch YouTube at 5-7pm just fine?

Don't worry about the impact of things like IoT devices emitting their tiny messages; it's a drop in the ocean of the volume of information flying through the air constantly on the relevant network

Last edited:
I don't know where that £600 comes from. It's inconceivable that one call per day could cost remotely that much.

I think he is judging it by what he personally pays for his calls. as pointed out, my calls, texts and data, are entirely free of any extra cost, once I have paid my £6 per month.

Sponsored Links
I estimate on average you make 5 calls a month. £6 / 5 = £1.20 per call. You think that's a good deal as would the phone company.

Then you would be very wrong in your estimate. At the moment, I spend perhaps an hour to two hours per day on the phone in calls, plus multiple messages.

Even under more normal circumstances, rarely a day goes by, where I don't make at least one phone call.

I think he is judging it by what he personally pays for his calls ...
That's what I thought - but if he's managed to find a contract which costs him £600 per year for one call per day, he's achieved something which the rest of us couldn't :)
. as pointed out, my calls, texts and data, are entirely free of any extra cost, once I have paid my £6 per month.
As I said, similar here, except that I'm paying double or so that figure per month.

Kind Regards, John

But tens of millions of humans can watch YouTube at 5-7pm just fine?
Well, for a start, the great majority of that traffic is presumably going over 'the Internet', not GSM (or other 'wireless') networks.

However, even if you were right, I think it would it would tend to underline my point. Millions of people do use, and 'rely on', the GSM networks all the time, for all sorts of purposes, and their activities could well be frustrated if those networks were asked to handle an additional 2+ billion calls per day!

Kind Regards, John

That's what I thought - but if he's managed to find a contract which costs him £600 per year for one call per day, he's achieved something which the rest of us couldn't
Not a contract, but Virgin PAYG would cost more than that at the point in time I left them.

Some interesting SM security information here:

The Wide Area Network (WAN), is provided by Arqiva and Telefonica.
In the North and Scotland, Arqiva have their own telecommunication network (Long Range Radio communication), separate from the usual mobile networks.
From the Midlands down, Telefonica uses 2/3G or 4G to transfer data on the mobile networks.

Communication hubs are capable of talking to each other in a mesh network, passing information between hubs in range, until reaching an endpoint meter, that has direct access to the WAN.

Communication hubs are capable of talking to each other in a mesh network, passing information between hubs in range, until reaching an endpoint meter, that has direct access to the WAN.
As I recently wrote that was my understanding - but, as I said I don't know whether a 'basic smart meter' can do that, or whether it requires some sort of 'add-on' and/or a different comms module - do you?

Kind Regards, John

I don't know whether a 'basic smart meter' can do that, or whether it requires some sort of 'add-on' and/or a different comms module
I believe "Dual Band Communication Hubs" have been available since 2020 - They operate at 2.4GHz to communicate on the HAN, but also at 868MHz, which is Telefonicas Mesh wireless frequency.

According to the attached 'EDF Installer Briefing", if WAN isn't available during installation, the SKU1 communication hub is swapped out for an SKU2 Dual band hub, with an external aerial.

The SKU1, definitely seems to be the preferred choice!

Attachments

• 1637_smets_2_install_and_leave_-_sku_2_installation_-_final_v1.1.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 77

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back