A Warning To Many - They Are Not Your Mates = Energy Companies/Smart Meters

Reaction score
Country
Palau
Good afternoon

A few months back we enquired re Smart Meter via our dual fuel supplier.
Then I asked a few questions on a motoring forum I post on.
The response I got was, "the reason energy companies want you to have a Smart meter
is so they can charge you more at peak periods."

The above was an assumption by a poster but one I could see happening, EG, the gov banged on about diesel cars the way forward/cleaner and diesel was cheaper. No certain coucils are charging you more to park up, drive in the city/town, etc and diesel is around 18p per litre more expensive.

We've just had postman Patricia deliver our mail and this is the third letter in about 5 days telling us to make an appointment re "Government-led initiative" which
in my judgement can fool some people into thinking it's mandatory.

No way we will go with a smart meter as sometimes possible in the next year or so, the gov and their mates will say ' due to shortages and greenhouse effects we are let with no option but to charge triple rates between 6am and 9am, 11-30am to 2pm and 4pm to 6-45pm' or something like that. They will cite they are saving the planet and helping the 'poor'

So NO thank you you can keep your smart meter. No, I do not have evidence but I have the capacity to work out how taxpayers will be stung again as it is those that often work that will be tied into the peak period usage.

They said water meters would save you money, but we all know what happened.

What you do re smart meters is your choice and if you get one, you will recall this thread when they hit you hard.

Sponsored Links
I have to agree that it seems likely that smart meters will enable the firms to fluctuate the tariffs throughout the day.

As we move to electric vehicles, I can see the cost of night time electricity increasing and if people eventually go back to working in the office, from a domestic point of view, night time may even become "peak" time.

Apropos water meters. They make sense for an old couple living in a 5 bedroom house (with no lawn).

Smart meters - they install for nothing, but then charge you extortionate fees if you want to remove them. Seems like a way to tie you into a rolling contract.

Sponsored Links
I have to agree that it seems likely that smart meters will enable the firms to fluctuate the tariffs throughout the day.

As we move to electric vehicles, I can see the cost of night time electricity increasing and if people eventually go back to working in the office, from a domestic point of view, night time may even become "peak" time.

Apropos water meters. They make sense for an old couple living in a 5 bedroom house (with no lawn).

I forgot re electric cars. Even more of a case as they will cite that they are getting there but for now (forever really) bear with us.

No wonder they are bombarding us with letters and making it sound as though it's mandatory ie the example I gave in my OP.

Re water meters, from what I've heard is that they are slightly lower if the couple works and out from their home from about 7 until 7 like most people working in London/city etc and have no front/back lawns and are not taking regular baths.

The rate of inflation is stated at 9% but if you use the old sytem of calculation I bet you its much higher.

Everything is going up and I'm pretty sure Boris will make a U turn within weeks as he is now really hot at saying he wont which means a U turn is in the offering.
The fuel suppliers are taking the p - prices drop and they rarely drop prices or weeks later but as soon as they up, pump prices up

Maybe some will turn the Economy 7 idea on its head - charge more for overnight use of electric, knowing that the people using it are most likely to be those who own expensive EVs and can afford it.

If in 20 years every household is charging 1-2 EVs every night, that is going to put a lot of pressure on the grid at times it has traditionally been very quiet.

I've said for a while if the battery cars really take off, the grid won't coupe. Therefore, energy prices up and just like we were encouraged to buy diesel cars and it was cheaper, now more expensive, quite soon I can see it being more expensive to run electric cars, especially the older ones.

Mark my words, in a few years time they will be telling is hybred cars are the way forward.

Hydrogen cars are the best but no one is prepared to lead the way bigstyle.

Smart meters - they install for nothing, but then charge you extortionate fees if you want to remove them. Seems like a way to tie you into a rolling contract
Why do they have to do this, I don't know why. Money?

The rate of inflation is stated at 9% but if you use the old sytem of calculation I bet you its much higher.
What was the old system of calculation? Do you actually know or are you just guessing? If you do know, what should it be?

I agree with all the above, we're in for a shafting and they're currently laying the foundations to do so. Electric cars are not saving the planet, supplies of oil and thus fuel are dwindling so they need to earn that revenue elsewhere. Electricity price hikes are inevitable when everyone has one.

not that bothered by different rates at different times as i am retired so can plan my days around rates
the one i dont like i have never missed a bill as i pay by direct debit but if they make a mistake and cut me off remotely as they dont need a court order as they do it remotely then all that fuss to get it reconnected :confused:

Never read such a load of blarney. Utilities companies don't need you to have a SM to be able to charge you more, lol. A SM just tells the the utilities company how many units you have used. As for switching you off - its exactly the same protocol as an analogue meter.

I agree with all the above, we're in for a shafting and they're currently laying the foundations to do so. Electric cars are not saving the planet, supplies of oil and thus fuel are dwindling so they need to earn that revenue elsewhere. Electricity price hikes are inevitable when everyone has one.

Who are "they"?

From what I have previously read, at the current rate of consumption, there will be 47 years of oil left, but that guestimate doesn't take in to account any increases in demand or currently untapped oil fields.

Sponsored Links
Back