A Warning To Many - They Are Not Your Mates = Energy Companies/Smart Meters

Sponsored Links
Good afternoon

A few months back we enquired re Smart Meter via our dual fuel supplier.
Then I asked a few questions on a motoring forum I post on.
The response I got was, "the reason energy companies want you to have a Smart meter
is so they can charge you more at peak periods."

The above was an assumption by a poster but one I could see happening, EG, the gov banged on about diesel cars the way forward/cleaner and diesel was cheaper. No certain coucils are charging you more to park up, drive in the city/town, etc and diesel is around 18p per litre more expensive.

We've just had postman Patricia deliver our mail and this is the third letter in about 5 days telling us to make an appointment re "Government-led initiative" which
in my judgement can fool some people into thinking it's mandatory.

No way we will go with a smart meter as sometimes possible in the next year or so, the gov and their mates will say ' due to shortages and greenhouse effects we are let with no option but to charge triple rates between 6am and 9am, 11-30am to 2pm and 4pm to 6-45pm' or something like that. They will cite they are saving the planet and helping the 'poor'

So NO thank you you can keep your smart meter. No, I do not have evidence but I have the capacity to work out how taxpayers will be stung again as it is those that often work that will be tied into the peak period usage.

They said water meters would save you money, but we all know what happened.

What you do re smart meters is your choice and if you get one, you will recall this thread when they hit you hard.

Are you aware of the number 1 reason, the main reason why so many are refusing to have these meters fitted???

I'm only asking because you don't seem to mention it at all. It's possible that you are unaware.

Sponsored Links

Never read such a load of blarney. Utilities companies don't need you to have a SM to be able to charge you more, lol. A SM just tells the the utilities company how many units you have used. As for switching you off - its exactly the same protocol as an analogue meter.

Looks like you read the posts but remain ignorant of what was being stated. To enlighten you, I and others agree that those with Smart meters and the possible move by the firms to make it mandatory to have a smart meter, there is nothing stopping them from charging you variable rates during the day. Fact, you cannot, you can't do that with an "analogue meter" that is not online giving second by second readings/etc.

Thanks & HTH
:) :)

Never read such a load of blarney. Utilities companies don't need you to have a SM to be able to charge you more, lol. A SM just tells the the utilities company how many units you have used. As for switching you off - its exactly the same protocol as an analogue meter.
You clearly have not got a clue. Attempt to explain to us how you think they can turn off an analogue meter remotely

You clearly have not got a clue. Attempt to explain to us how you think they can turn off an analogue meter remotely
i think to be far he means you still have to get a magistrate to sign the order before cutting off even though it would now be remote rather than a home visit

If you get solar panels that feed back to the grid, does that make it harder for them to cut you off? Or has that all changed now?
A friend had solar panels years ago and moaned that the downside was that if there was a powercut, she would be asked to disconnect her supply so the line could safely be worked on. After that she decided to just have batteries and not feed back to grid.

i think to be far he means you still have to get a magistrate to sign the order before cutting off even though it would now be remote rather than a home visit
when i say worst case scenario i am not on about debt im on about the country running out of supplies which smart meters would just be turned off in mass in certain areas

TOU tariffs using smart meters have been here for some years now. As more houses have batteries, solar, EV's, V2H and V2G we're going to see more load shifting and grid balancing integrated with TOU tariffs. It's complex, and there will be winners and losers, and unfortunately the losers are, I think, likely to be those with less money and power.
For me personally, without the smart meter, I wouldn't be able to buy electricity when demand is low and it's cheaper, and sell it when demand is high and it's more expensive.

when i say worst case scenario i am not on about debt im on about the country running out of supplies which smart meters would just be turned off in mass in certain areas
They'd just shut the power down in that case, ****************** Nowt to do with meters.:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
The last thing anyone wants is to be cut off as i was watching a tv doc a few years back - not only are you cut off but i think you pay a fairly large re-connection fee and pay off all the bills.

Slightly OT but I watch those baliff and 'cant pay, wont pay ' tv doscs. The number of clowns that start off with a few hundred-pound debt or even a smaller parking fine and do not paying it end up paying thousands.

With me I've been too scared to have less that xx in the bankand that held us back when other family were buying btl again and again. Having said that, we are ok and imo, well for us, having quiet a bit of cash in the bank gives you confidence.
The protocols are the same for those with any type of meter.

Sponsored Links
Back