Smart meter displayed bill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For all the years since SM's were installed, I have had access to an up-to-date online billing, so I have never taken much notice of the E&G amounts owing.

Since BG took my account over, and all the chaos which went with that, the government's energy discounts, plus very chaotic bills from BG, plus credit from my failed previous supplier - I no longer have the slightest clue how much I owe them.

I'm also paying them a fixed amount each month, towards the E&G bills. My indoor display shows a monetary cost for each source of energy, the figure keeps increasing as you would expect, but what does it refer to? Does it take account of how much I have paid each month? Does it take account of the £67 energy discount? When did/does it ever return to £zero.

Sponsored Links
plus very chaotic bills from BG
Sounds familiar. Despite my being on a 'fixed direct debit' tariff, BG vary the monthly debit from time to time! If I set a monthly debit which I calculate will allow for a predicted price increase, BG announce 'you are paying too much' and promptly reduce it. A month or so goes by and they announce 'you are not paying enough' !!

I raised complaints over the credit with my previous credit, from the supplier they took over from, not being refunded by BG - which resulted in them taking it into account with a lower monthly payment. The lower payment was only supposed to last for three months, but I must have fallen through the cracks. I've been paying them just £40 ever since, their site will not allow me to change it, nor can I make any sense of their bills either - they have put so many up, only to cancel them a day or two later. I've tried ringing, but can never get any sense out of them at all, promises to sort the mess out, but it just never happens.

The indoor display depends on which one it is and whether BG have kept the pricing info in it up to date or not.
Some can display the usage daily, weekly, monthly, yearly. Others perhaps not.

In any case, the display should not be relied for how much you actually owe, that should be obtained from the online account via website or app.
If BG don't have those, move to a supplier which does such as Octopus.

Sponsored Links
Thank you @Harry Bloomfield we don't have a smart meter, seems few do in this area, there have been problems getting the info back to suppliers base. Like you my supplier went to the wall, and BG was forced on us, wife deals with it, not sure if still with BG, but to start with we could not move until billing sorted out.

Many years ago Scottish power sent us a meter which allowed us to see in real time what we used, it was a CT coil which clamped onto the incoming tail, so not accurate, however the annual reading of the meter was within £20 so close enough, normally around £5 out in the year, I can't see how a smart meter can be better than that? At the moment it is not working, the batteries leaked, but will repair it, and that is good enough for me.

.... Many years ago Scottish power sent us a meter which allowed us to see in real time what we used, it was a CT coil which clamped onto the incoming tail, so not accurate, however the annual reading of the meter was within £20 so close enough, normally around £5 out in the year, I can't see how a smart meter can be better than that?
Did the 'meter' from Scottish Power have only the CT, or did it also have a connection to the supply? If the former, then it obviously could only know about current, so its displayed kWh (hence price) would be based on 'guesses' of the voltage and PF.

On the other hand, a 'smart' meter obviously knows about voltage and PF, and therefore will produce much more accurate true kWh figures.

Kind Regards, John

Thank you @Harry Bloomfield we don't have a smart meter, seems few do in this area, there have been problems getting the info back to suppliers base. Like you my supplier went to the wall, and BG was forced on us, wife deals with it, not sure if still with BG, but to start with we could not move until billing sorted out.

It has been and continues to be a complete nightmare with BG. I've subscribed to several of the smaller suppliers over the past few years, with never the slightest problem with anything, apart from the SM's failing to work as smart. BG fouled up big time ever since the enforced move.

Latest is that I am obviously deep in debt with BG for energy, paying them just £40 per month, the extent of which I cannot make sense of due to the confusion. They took their £40 dd which they took on 3rd Jan - They then refunded me £40 on the 10th. It's worrying - Not a financial problem, but I do like to know where I am with bills.

They are reading my meters every 30 minutes, daily consumption seems to be correct, at around a combined cost of £6+ per day, £42 per week, so why when I pay them £40 per month, are they refunding the £40?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back