Smart Meter Installation Problem - Part Deux

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
many thanks for the previous replies...
before I arrange an installation I was looking into equipontal bonding ...

To be blunt, a house in same street as mine, recently had a new external gas meter fitted... and ... what looks like a 10mm2 earth cable fitted outside that runs up his wall at the front of the house and along about 20 feet of it, before it disappears into a crudely drilled hole through the brickwork.
To be blunt, aesthetically.. it looks ****ing ****e!!!.
I think siemens fitted it but not sure. I would ask him what happened but don't know him well enough to ask.
I am sure we had new (yellow plastic) gas pipes fitted into the ground around 10/15 years ago, so not sure if the earthing cable is needed.

Before I arrange an installation, would equipontal bonding be needed if the gas pipe outside is plastic?

Sponsored Links
yes it still does , but meter installers wont do it , its down to householder meter installer will just give you a label informing it needs done and is not up to standard

yes it still does , but meter installers wont do it , its down to householder meter installer will just give you a label informing it needs done and is not up to standard

Depends.

If Cadent are reisitng the meter for their own reasons, they will arrange a contractor. If it is done in the householders behest, the householder has to arrange.

Certainly so in my experience, from 2 years ago. If the meter changer rememebers to request the bonding.:oops:

Sponsored Links
If the gas supply is plastic, then is it a extraneous conductive part?

It's certainly not required by BS7671, but you can do some basic electrical tests to determine if it is required or not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back