Smart motorways .....such a dumb idea.

Sponsored Links
True. The Red X will ( should ) come on when the hard shoulder is blocked. But what is the delay between the broken down vehicle becoming stationary on the hard shoulder and the "smart" system ( or traffic officer via CCTV ) detecting that the hard shoulder is blocked and setting the Red X

Makes no difference, when half the idiots on the road won't use the hard shoulder when the sign clearly says "use hard shoulder", yet half continue to use one, when there's a sodding great red "X" telling them not to......

when half the idiots on the road won't use the hard shoulder when the sign clearly says "use hard shoulder"

I which case I am an " idiot ", Using Lane 1 means there is far less risk of finding a stationary vehicle in front of you than there is if you are using the hard shoulder.

Makes no difference, when half the idiots on the road won't use the hard shoulder when the sign clearly says "use hard shoulder", yet half continue to use one, when there's a sodding great red "X" telling them not to......

What are you saying? The public are idiots? :mrgreen:

How can we use existing capacity better?

Sponsored Links
I which case I am an " idiot ", Using Lane 1 means there is far less risk of finding a stationary vehicle in front of you than there is if you are using the hard shoulder.

You could try actually looking ahead in front of you:whistle:

Plus, for the reasons I stated earlier and in my honest experience, you are at far greater risk of finding a stationary vehicle in front of you in any of the running lanes, than you are in the hard shoulder (due to people driving too fast and too close to the vehicle in front, causing stop-start traffic in the running lanes. Ironically, most common in the outside lane, due to the hoggers).

In France they overtake and return to lane like its some kind of religion. I'm positive there is some sort of rule that says you must hold your breath while overtaking. Much better lane discipline. Here we seem to use the lanes like they do in the US where basically, you just spread out.

In France they overtake and return to lane like its some kind of religion. I'm positive there is some sort of rule that says you must hold your breath while overtaking. Much better lane discipline. Here we seem to use the lanes like they do in the US where basically, you just spread out.

I must say its nice driving on French Autoroute and N roads

Sadly the main motorway by me is the M25, its super busy, frequent holdups, lane discipline is bad

I can hold my breath for 3 minutes.

Two problems with smart motorways

- the stupid people who use them who apparently can't see and definitely can't drive

- the stupid people who operate them and set speed limts, often varying from gantry to gantry, that actually cause congestion and have no relation to the actual traffic

Apart from that they are great - especially when you can whizz down the hard shoulder despite the signs saying "use hard shoulder" but the numpties can't see that and so stay in the first lane and add to the congestion.

The problems are that there are too many vehicles on the road, and that too many people have the right to drive.

True remainers should lose their right to drive as they have no perception of reality.

People have died due to the absence of a hard shoulder it's as simple as that.

Sponsored Links
Back