Smart phone - wifi Alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to choose a new alarm system for a 5 bed house. I see the future of alarms is moving towards systems which are controlled through smart phones. This actually seems a useful feature as one can self monitor a system, especially if a camera(s) is attached to the system.

I generated a list of requirements
PIR, door contacts, can connect to camera
can connect to broadband either via cable or wifi. (I don't want a GSM connection as the primary connection as it increases running costs)
Android app
Multi zone
Key fobs if possible

My initial research a few months ago led me to discover the Yale easy fit smart phone alarm. This seems to deliver what I need. However, I have some concerns, at £500 with only two detectors it is not a cheap entry level system. The Yale servers for the app are only currently supported until 2018, so in 4 years time will I need to invest in a new system?

After some more research I found the honeywell lynx L5200. This on the face of it appears to be a far superior system to the yale offering. It has a clear touch screen panel, wifi / 4G enabled communication, can connect fobs, cameras, even lights and other items to the system. Further more it is 1/2 the price. However, as far as I can see it is only available in the US. Has anyone in the UK imported it / fitted it?

Are there any other systems I should look at?

Sponsored Links
So you want everything as described , but want to pay peanuts for it ? You only get what you pay for , you may get a Honeywell lynx but what technical back up will you get if you have a problem ?

For a cost effective European based system, take a look at the Honeywell Galaxy range.

A decent G2-44 system with IP and RF portal, battery, keypad and external siren will come in at around £230. Add wireless sensors to that for about £25 each. It's a hybrid system, so you can have a mix of hard wired sensors too.

You can control the panel fully with remote keypad app. Monitoring over IP is also available, but will cost £1 a month.

There's also Texecom Premier, but the cost will come in higher.

My advice would be to keep camera systems separate and keep them out of internal private areas.

Have a look at the Visonic Powermax system fitted with the Powerlink module. You can control the alarm, view cameras and have home automation via PGM or X-10. There is an App but it is hard to get working. However the good news is that there is a mobile browser interface which works very well.

This is a useful article http://www.diy-alarms.co.uk/pscatalog/pdf_docs/PowerlinkSetup2.pdf

Sponsored Links
So you want everything as described , but want to pay peanuts for it ?

I agree, I am happy to pay more money for a system if I see it as a 10 year investment. The risk of the Yale I see is that by the time I add extra door contacts and PIRs I could have invested £800 and if the system is not guaranteed to be supported in 4 years time I could then be stuck and have an alarm which no longer can be controlled / monitored from my phone.

You are also correct the Lynx is high risk as I will have no support in the UK. Although I am technically minded and have fitted system myself in the past it is always nice to know there is support if required.

For a cost effective European based system, take a look at the Honeywell Galaxy range.
There's also Texecom Premier, but the cost will come in higher.

Thanks I will look into the Galaxy range again. The texecom premier looks interesting also.

I suppose I was attracted by the Lynx touch screen control panel and what appears to be simple user setup for a fairly complex system. Some good marketing videos...

My advice would be to keep camera systems separate and keep them out of internal private areas.

Good advice on the cameras. My main thought was to position in the central hall way and perhaps external so that if there is an alarm it could be validated. i have never been convinced by speech dialer to let you know the alarm has gone off, as if you are away, what can you do but worry yourself. With the current technology it appears useful to possibly see if there is evidence of a break in before asking someone to go round and have a look.

I will have a look at separate camera systems as an alternative.

I suppose I was attracted by the Lynx touch screen control panel
I read recently that touch screens might not be such a good idea since the screen gets fingerprints over the most used buttons, ie your pin code. Maybe it's over-exaggerating a small problem tho, but maybe worth bearing in mind.

Some good marketing videos...

A good system ( ie one that reliably detects intruders and does not false alarm ) does not need marketing videos, it will sell on the merits of being a reliable alarm.

Integrating alarms with heating controls, lighting controls etc etc may look good as a marketing feature but almost always this leads to over complicating things and the more complicated something is the more likely it is to go wrong or be badly designed from the start.

The only exception is when the alarm can trigger a lighting control to turn on a few lights in sequence as if the owner is moving around the hosue in response to the alarm going off. Even then the alarm and lighting controller should be separate systems.

If they all share the same interconnection channel a fault on the lighting system could knock out the alarm system.

I've fitted 3 easy fit kit 3 alarms over the last 12months and I was pleasantly surprised by the features, reliability and ease of install......

I hate to say it but Yale really have progressed!

Incidentally my customer spoke to Yale who confirmed the are now using an independent hosting service and there will never be a charge for this.

BTW - do not confuse smart phone with smart alarm....they are totally different animals....

Matt

Last edited by a moderator:
I've fitted 3 easy fit kit 3 alarms over the last 12months and I was pleasantly surprised by the features, reliability and ease of install......

I must admit the last alarm I fitted was a Yale easy fit alarm and it was very simple and easy to use, I never had a problem with it. I started my research for a new alarm system with Yale products.

BTW - do not confuse smart phone with smart alarm....they are totally different animals....

The smart alarm appears to be a more professional product which does not appear to be for sale for DIY install.

Yes your right..........

I'm slowly being converted on the Yale systems........even if they are killing core domestic alarm business. We still find a lot of customers are buying and asking us to fit hence we still make a living....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back