Smart Phone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As I have an appalling memory, it has been suggested that I get a smart phone and use the calendar app to fill in all important dates and set reminders for those dates.

I also have dire eyesight, so the screen needs to be as large as possible. I do need it to fit into a pocket, though, so tabs are out.

What would you suggest, and should I buy it outright with a SIM-only deal or on contract?

I have to say from my forays into the smart phone market for Mrs & Master Secure that I am quite impressed by the build quality of Samsung.

Sponsored Links
I like iPhones too and it has 'accesibility' options to make the text massive if that's what you are after.

Calendar App is good and you can send/receive invites, sync with a calendar on your computer like Outlook, Gmail, Hotmail etc. too.

Also good for email if you use that for business.

Samsung are good; I have the S3 but put it to one side for the iPhone 5 instead. I think iPhones are more user friendly and I prefer the UI.

If getting a higher end phone I'd just go for a full on contract. Something like T-Mobile Full Monty at £36 p/m with unlimited SMS & Data and about 2k minutes a month!

iPhone text options menu:

Sponsored Links
WS66

Thanks for the dry humour!

I deal with this already. It is either by the charger or in my pocket or being charged. I keep it charged so if by chance I cannot find it, I can call it.

This happened once when it slipped out of my pocket into my Ma's car...

Diane: shame on you to join forces with 66 and mock the afflicted!

Not sure about iphones yet. Might go and see a working model and make my mind up about them.

But I have just happened across a Note II and like it. Yes, it's big, but that's a plus point for me, not a negative!

Just can't make up my mind...

I'm trying to treat it like buying a car. In other words, what is the total cost?

I deduct the handset purchase price from the 24 month contract price, then divide the remainder by 24 to give me a monthly "cost" for allowances. Then look at that and see if it is good value.

Head's spinning..... ;)

Check out the new Google Nexus 4.
Im no expert but it according to those in the know it is on a par with the iPhone but for half the price.
I have just managed to get one and it does everything it says on the package
Prior to this I had an HTC and while it was good I found the screen on the small side.
The Nexus is bigger but not to big to be unwieldy.

OK, for the monthly fee, the SIII has a much better deal pound for pound than the Nexus 4.

They have similar screen sizes too.

The Note 2 has an even bigger screen. What I like about the Note is that it has a built-in stylus that is bound to be far more accurate than my pork & beef fingers.

Best look at a few, huh? ;)

Note II is a good bit of kit, but massive as far as phones go, which means you then have a limited choice of pockets (if any!) to keep it in.

Stylus is a bit of a novelty for everyday use IMO as it's more for drawing etc. or handwriting notes if you really want. Make sure you get some spares for when you lose the supplied one!

Ive just got a HTC DesireX and it pretty good, battery life is better than most as far as I can tell (will do two days between charges with light use) and a fair balance between screen size and overall size. Its also not too expensive, so comes with a £20/month contract (unlimited mins/text/500mb data) and i dont feel to bad about chucking it about a bit.

Ive only ever used android smart phones, but I have a gmail account, and its all sync'ed up so I can look at and edit my calender on a computer (anything with the internet infact) while doing my emails, which I can also check on the phone.

My dad, best mate, gf are also the same, and I can overlay there calender onto mine at the touch of a button, which is also very usfull. Ditto overlaying facebook events, if your into that.

Daniel

Tim

Thanks. Pocket size isn't a problem!

The stylus attracts me as I would find it useful for operating the phone generally, ie as a replacement finger, so I can type accurately with it.

hutch

Thanks. I'll look at the HTC...

Fair enough, if you happy to go larger, there are quite a few really quote large phones, and cross-over tablet phone affairs, had a freind with a Dell Streak, its been replaced now, but he got on fine with it.

You basically have a choice of
- How big you want it and the screen.
- How fast/highspec/new you want it.
- Which operating system you want (Android/Windows/AppleOS)
- How many calls/minutes/data you need and network you want to be on if you care.

From there you will have narrowed it down fairly well.

If you get it totally wrong, even if your in a 12/18/24mnt contract, you either pay to change it, or just sell the phone and buy a diffrent one, via ebay!

Go to a shop, talk to them, figure out what you think you want, see how that goes.

Daniel

go for the galaxy 3,a lot of reviews reckon its better then the i phone ?
i have 1 on 3 on a 24 mth contract,free phone.i get 5000 mins 3 to 3
5000 texts,2000 voice mins and all you can eat data.averages about £40 p/month.

Thanks hutch, "quite a few large phones"?

Isn't the Note 2 currently the largest?

Cheers, greg, S III screen an inch smaller?

Can you still use a stylus on the screen?

My price range is more late 20's early 30's.

For £28 and no handset payment on 3, I get 500, 5K, U/L.

Sponsored Links
Back