Smart Phone

Best deal so far is Note II on T mobile unlimited texts and data with 500 minures of calls for a total of £774 over 24 months.

Sponsored Links
T mobile charge for voice mail and someone told me you can override this by dialling your number, thus accessing voicemail using your allocated minutes, not accruing further costs.

But someone else reckons T Mob have closed this loophole and now you can't.

Any T Mobile customers willing to comment please?

Cheers!

Best deal so far is Note II on T mobile unlimited texts and data with 500 minures of calls for a total of £774 over 24 months.

You don't really need unlimited data. I've got mine on 3G all the time I'm not at home and I use it when I want and last month I used 335MB. Unlimited texts, who knows, you aren't a teenager so won't use that many, but even so they pretty much all offer it now. The only thing you might use a lot of is minutes, but I bet you will not use 500.

Second hand Samsung Galaxy S2s on ebay now for £100-£150. You can unbrand them easy peasy.

GiffGaff give you 250mins, unlimited texts, unlimited internet for a tenner a month. They use the O2 network. If you want 400 minutes it costs you a fiver more.

If I wasn't locked into a contract that's what I'd do.

SS - we're on T-mobile and we don't get charged for Voicemail? I don't know if that's specific to our contract or if its standard but we definitely don't pay for it - i've just checked our online bill. The only thing we end up paying for each month over our contract rental is 18p for picture messages and calls to premium rate numbers, everything else is included.

I have a Samsung S3 and would recommend it to anyone. I have some friends who have always said they'd never have anything but an iPhone but who have tried the S3 and now say they'd never go back. One of them recently had to go back to using his iPhone after he damaged his S3 and pretty much gave up using his phone for a week until he had it back because he thinks the iPhone was so much worse than the S3. I've also had a couple of people who've seen my S3 and said that the screen size would be perfect for them because of their eyesight not being what it once was. It is big, but I have no problems using it with one hand and it fits in every pockets i've tried it in - trousers, jeans, shirt, coat etc.... Its also quite robust - i've dropped it no end of times, and it has battle scars to prove it, but the screen has survived every one of them and the phone still works perfectly.

As Chapeau says, you could pick up a much cheaper S2 - they are very similar to the S3 and I wouldn't be that sad to go back to the S2 - but you would miss out on the larger screen...

Sponsored Links
Thanks, guys.

Am being put off a bit by TMobile's VM charge. They apparently charge for newly connected SIMS, but existing ones are not charged.

Will look into separate handset and SIM only. Don't really want to be tied to contract, but it is a bit cheaper that way.

Have looked into second hand handset on ebay: am sticking with Note at the moment. I have compared an S3 with a Note, both live and the Note is much easier on my eyes. Plus, the stylus helps with the keypad.

There are some on ebay at the moment, but they are only £50 less than a brand new unlocked one with choice of colour. Is it worth it?

Possibly.

Virgin do good SIM only for £12. In fact, Mrs S has the £12 Virgin SIM in her smartphone. More mins and texts than I could use, with 1 GB, but for £12, plus free voicemail, what do people think?

I think Virgin is quite competitive, we were almost going to change Mrs Preds contract but stayed with 3 as they were slightly cheaper..

I see 3's £12.90 1 month rolling contract deal is 200/5000/U-L for £12.90, as against Virgin's £12.00 1 month deal giving 1200/ U-L / 1 GB.

Virgin's U-L texts are capped at 60K, but you won't exceed that level in a month without losing at least one thumb, probably both.

I personally won't need a huge amount of data (or calls or texts), but - particularly in the case of data - my phone might be borrowed by others - particularly my kids........ :cry: , in which case it might make sense to have a buffer.

Number 1 son's phone had 250MB data which he has exceeded regularly, costing a fortune, so I have learnt to my cost that it makes sense to pick a package that fits my useage rather than find out in the future that I am exceeding my allowances.

Does 3 make additional charges outside of the allowances for voicemail?

Great! So that makes the choice either 3 or Virgin if I want free voicemail.

If I want masses of data, it's 3.

I guess you're happy with their coverage and customer service?

I hope they've come a long way since the early days of 3 and, before that, Rabbit.... ;)

Does anyone remember Rabbit?

You had a handset and stood outside a shop in the freezing rain making calls?? :cry:

Still, they did OK with Orange...

Everybody else on 3 happy with them?

i've been with 3 for over 10yrs now, the signal has improved, they are hard to beat on price, i'm :D

Got a HTC OneXplus at O2 just before Christmas. Brilliant phone. Battery life is very good - goes 3 days easily under normal work use and 4 to 5 days under lighter use. My daughter is P&Ding on a site at the mo and her iphone is dead by 4pm every day. She has to take a charger everywhere she goes. I was also impressed with O2. When I took the contract the young lad immediately price matched the best deal he could find at that particular time (price matched Carphone Warehuse as it happens) which knocked £8 off the monthly cost. Must be the OneXplus though - the original OneX battery is rubbish.

Got a HTC OneXplus at O2 just before Christmas. Brilliant phone. Battery life is very good - goes 3 days easily under normal work use and 4 to 5 days under lighter use. My daughter is P&Ding on a site at the mo and her iphone is dead by 4pm every day. She has to take a charger everywhere she goes. I was also impressed with O2. When I took the contract the young lad immediately price matched the best deal he could find at that particular time (price matched Carphone Warehuse as it happens) which knocked £8 off the monthly cost. Must be the OneXplus though - the original OneX battery is rubbish.

Apparently batteries will be a thing of the past

https://plus.google.com/112118861354873908587/posts/fGrzXqkAjmT

I spot a couple of small problems with that cunning plan. The original article is apparently ten years old and we ain't seen no little petrol engined watches or laptops yet. I reckon the duracell bunny got wind of it and went up their and kicked their little petrol heads in. Either that or it was the 1st of April.

Tell you something that I've noticed.

The mobile companies and retailers are a brazen bunch.

Just play them at their own game.

They think you are stupid.

You're not.

Do the maths before you choose a deal.

Look at 3's deals on the Note II:

All have UL data and 5K texts (the dearest also has 5K 3 to 3 mins too):

The pounds refer to the total cost of the deal over 24 months including monthly payments and any handset costs:

300 mins: 891

500 mins: 885

2000 mins: 933

So, 300 mins costs more than 500? Work that out....

Also on 3, on CPW's site, get the same handset and deal with 100 minutes and pay a total of 724, 300 minutes, 824 and 500 minutes 924.

In other words, each extra 200 minutes costs an extra 100 quid???????

And when comparing other tarrifs on sites, I have seen exactly the same deals side by side on the same websites, one costing anything up to £150 more than the other over 24 months.

The other trap is the FREE PHONE!!!!!!!!

24 month contract FREE PHONE, great!!!!

But, I am finding better value deals where you pay up to £150 for the phone. Overall, you can pay less that way than just looking at the "free phone" deals.

Shop carefully, guys!!!

Sponsored Links
Back