Smart plug with random programme

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am looking for a smart plug which can be controlled through an iPhone from anywhere, not just when you are connected to the same home network. Would also like one where a random programme can be selected.

Does anyone know of any decent ones which they can recommend?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Theres plenty of smart plugs that can be controlled remotely (even when not on the network) from makers like energenie, Belkin, tplink, samsung etc...

A quick google search leads to a tp-link one that has a "random" on/off function http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/cat-5258_HS100.html Ideally you want a branded name (tp-link is btw) and depending on what your using it for go for one that can tell you if the socket is on/off, maybe even usage too but that might be overkill for basic functionality.

Just looking at that model at Maplins and surprisingly decent price as well.

Thanks

I have MiHome Energenie and I would suspect most people will stick to one make so hard to compare, all I can do is say how I found the one I used.
There are three types done by MiHome, two that plug in, one which is the socket I have the latter, the unit is large it fills the back box so I had to square up the back box first, to set timers it needs the hub, although you can use the local remote without the hub, there are three built in timers, however since it is IFTTT you can get more if you want, the app I used for IFTTT allowed me to switch it off on the hour for 15, 30, or 45 minutes which was not exactly what I wanted, but there are so many apps I am sure there is one which would have done what I wanted, I could work it from phone any where where the phone had signal. There are three plug in units, one works same as socket, the other also monitors what power is used, and the third only monitors it does not switch.

So why did I use MiHome, well I also wanted to control heating and MiHome hub also does the heating, and because it is IFTTT I can integrate with Nest if I want to at a latter date. If you look here there are loads of IFTTT applications which can be used with MiHome. The problem is needing to also buy the hub, same with Hive system and lightwave you need the hub as well, so what you need is to decide what other things you want as well. Also the information on adverts I found was lacking, I see the Hive would have allowed 6 on/off times a day without using apps, but Hive first socket adaptor (Maplin price) £111 that's socket and hub, the energenie hub is £52.99 and three sockets plug in type for £24.99 (screwfix price) so Energenie (MiHome) is cheaper than Hive. Lightwave hub £89.99 (Maplin price) and sockets again sold pack of three at £32.99 (maplin price).

It's the need for hub that humps up the price.

Sponsored Links
Hi slider09,

I can recommend the TP-Link HS100 that you can get for about £25 from Amazon or Argos. Has a really good little app, can control them from anywhere (as long as you have internet connectivity) and has timers with random functionality.

I had a few of the chinese one's (ORVIBO) that I got on ebay for about £15, they were fine but my only grumble was the app. You couldn't always guarantee that the switch was on. Haven't had this problem with the TP-Link's above.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back