Smart programmer/thermostat for electric rads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Looking to replace my Dimplex four zone programmer with something a bit smarter (& easier to program). All my electric radiators are in a single zone which his fine and there's no thermostat as such, each radiator can be set 1-9.

What options do I have on smart programmers and if possible with wifi and therefore programming via an app?

I read up on Nest and Hive but these say they only work with mechanical central heating systems.

I don't really need to control the temperature, just the on/off time.
Thanks in advance.

Image 004.png

Image 008.png

Sponsored Links
There are very few units suitable for central control of electric heaters and of those I have seen, yours is about the best to operate. The problem is that most programmers only have small electrical contacts as they normally switch only an amp or two for control of valves and are not suitable for switching large loads. The programmers for electric heaters have a pilot wire that sends a signal to the heaters so that the switching takes place locally at each heater.

Ok thanks for the info, it backs up what I thought.

Seems like the manufacturers are missing a trick with this, there are loads of new homes with all electric heating with tech from the 80s

Are they one one (or more) dedicated circuits on your consumer unit, or are they just plugged into general sockets?

Sponsored Links
As far as I know there's a pilot wire going to each heater, they are on their own circuit and not just plugged in to wall sockets.

I don't know what signalling is on the pilot wire, it may be more complex than simply voltage/no-voltage, and it's highly unlikely anyone other than Dimplex make anything compatible with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back