Smart Thermostat recommendations?

I think that is correct that tado no longer suppots open therm.
Most interesting to me is his recommendation of manufacturers own controls.
I've just had a reply from Tado saying they do support modulation with opentherm on certain boilers (as per the video). I'll see which ones are compatible.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info. Stupid question, but what is "bus control".
Is this related to relay on/off and modulation?

Tado have said:
==============
"With traditional heating systems, a simple relay is used to turn the boiler on or off. When the boiler is on, it heats water to the preset temperature until the thermostat tells it to turn off. The result is often that your radiators come on full blast and can often overshoot the temperature you set. As a result, the thermostat waits until the temperature falls then kicks the boiler into maximum gear again. The average temperature you achieve may be right, but you end up over and undershooting the level you set, which isn’t ideal.

A digital interface allows your smart thermostat to change the temperature of the water used for the heating. This is called modulation. As most smart thermostats understand how long your home takes to warm up, they can measure the heat required to get your house up to temperature. From that, they can set the boiler to the most efficient water temperature to achieve the goal. In many cases, thermostats may set your water temperature to a lower level, using longer heating times to hit the set temperature. With a modern condensing boiler, running at lower temperatures for longer can be more efficient, saving you more energy.

Furthermore, regarding the compatibility with tado°, please find more information in the following article.

· Is tado° compatible with my boiler?

However, in order to confirm compatibility with your boiler, please contact us with the exact model name of your boiler."
=================

Yes, bus control is the exchange of information between control and boiler and back. I know OpenTherm best, the boiler becomes a kettle, control of its operation is given up to the software which is different between manufacturers of the same protocol so Nest OpenTherm will have different instructions to another OpenTherm control. I explain it as a common language but the commands and sentences differ but with similar objectives.

Here's a video we did for Allen Harts channel that was never used.

Yes, bus control is the exchange of information between control and boiler and back. I know OpenTherm best, the boiler becomes a kettle, control of its operation is given up to the software which is different between manufacturers of the same protocol so Nest OpenTherm will have different instructions to another OpenTherm control. I explain it as a common language but the commands and sentences differ but with similar objectives.

Here's a video we did for Allen Harts channel that was never used.

Thanks very much for that video, that helped me understand more about OpenTherm. I'm pretty sold on having that over relay now.

Sponsored Links
For what its worth, Tado have said:

"Viessmann Vitodens 100-W B1KF is compatible with tado°. tado° can be connected with this boiler to either an OpenTherm or a Relay interface, however, it cannot work on Viessmann Plus BUS interface. You will need 1 x Starter Kit - Wireless Smart Thermostat V3+ for the EU market (the UK version doesn't have an option to control digital interface)."

"Another option would be to install Smart Thermostat directly to the boiler if there is only one heating circuit in the heating system. Then you can use one Wireless Temperature Sensor to act as a wireless thermostat. The downside to this option is that we don't provide step-by-step installation instructions for connecting the Smart Thermostat directly to the boiler."

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back