Smart thermostat help

it does not even have to have a heat exchanger, the solid fuel cooker in mothers house did not, the water in the tap and water in the boiler were the same, and it would some times actually boil the water.
read Direct HW Cylinder not the same thing

Sponsored Links
There is a long list of boilers mainly Bosch which Hive will not work with
Because of the way the WB electronics work as they wanted to make it exclusive to use their own brand of controls , was absolutely nothing to do with the Hive , stop living on Google, some actual installers know better

It may well be Hive has a software option that allows it to be fitted, what I have asked for is confirmation that the option exists, without the software option it would need a relay something like this.
Hive-basic-C-Plan.jpg
From what you say that relay is not required? I hope you are correct as it seems he has ordered Hive.

My apologies
Installation Guide said:
Gravity-fed and part-pumped systems are wired differently to standard boilers. With these, the hot water relay switches on the boiler, whilst the heating relay opens a valve, operates a pump, or both, to divert hot water to the heating.
Page 8 on this guide was it so hard to link as I have done.

Sorry I got it wrong it seems.

Sponsored Links
Update

Finally got round to fitting hive. Very simple job. Live, neutral, hw on and ch on where the only wires required. Mode then changed to gravity fed and all working like it should.

Now to suss out where to place the thermostat and what temp to set it at.

Cheers for everyone's input.

Now to suss out where to place the thermostat

Here are some tips that might help.

The positioning of the room thermostat is critical to the correct operation of the system. It should have overall control of the system, because it will save energy by shutting everything down when the ideal temperature is reached.

The room thermostat should be in a room that is not effected by other sources of heat such as an open fire, cooking equipment, or direct sunlight etc. It should not be somewhere draughty or too close to a window, especially if it's one that is opened in the winter.

Secondly it should be in a cool room, ideally the last to warm up. That way the other rooms will be warm enough, (but not overheated if fitted with TRV’s) before the room thermostat switches the entire heating system off.

The radiator in the room with the thermostat installed should not have a TRV fitted. Otherwise the TRV may interfere with the room thermostat and prevent it from working properly.

The thermostat should be mounted about 1.5 metres from the floor, and not close to, or above a radiator.

Preferably it should not be on an outside wall, (although if you have well insulated walls, this is not quite so crucial.)

It should be in an area where air can circulate easily, not in a corner, or hidden behind curtains, or furniture.

@stem

Thanks for the info. I Currently have the thermostat in my hall way. The hallway has a small single radiator with trv fitted. I have adjusted the trv to it maximum. When my heating came on as planned at 16:30 the hallway temperature was 14°c. After the boiler running for 1 hour the temp at 17:30 was 15°c I was trying to achieve set point temp of 20°c. All other rooms felt to be at correct temp and being regulated by the their radiator trvs.

I'm Thinking that I may never reach the 20°c setpoint. Should I set my setpoint lower or just stay with the 20°c and let the boiler run continuously for my time schedule?

Or would the hallway radiator benefit from removing the trv?

Usually setting the TRV to max is pretty much the same as not having one fitted provided that you don't set the room stat higher than the TRV maximum temperature. If you find that the TRV is starting to cool the radiator before the room stat reaches its set point, you should remove it.

You can just unscrew the TRV sensor and knob from the valve and try it. Removing also does stop it being turned down inadvertently by someone who doesn't understand how the system works.

It sounds like your room stat is in the right place so that the other rooms warm up first. If you find that the other rooms are warm enough, you could turn the room stat down a bit, we have ours in the hall set at 19 degrees as we don't spend time in there, but the lounge still makes 21.

If on the other hand the hall never hits the set temperature, then maybe a slightly larger radiator is required. However, you need to be careful, if the hall heats up before the other room and turns the thermostat off prematurely then you could end up being chilly elsewhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back