Smart Thermostat installation Query - Oil Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There,

I’ve just moved home in to a house that has an oil boiler. Worcester Greenstar HeatSlave 25/32. The boiler was installed in 2009. I’m looking to install a smart thermostat to control the heating and hot water from phone. We had the Hive system in previous home and it was fantastic, however, although the website says this works with oil boilers, Hive/ British Gas don’t support it. I am struggling to find anyone that can install with an oil boiler. Any suggestions or indeed alternatives? I believe there are ones like Tado, again just looking for support with install. I've attached pics of boiler/ Thermostat

Thanks

IMG_6019.JPG IMG_6018.JPG IMG_6050.JPG

Sponsored Links
Not familiar with Hive but Nest could definitely be installed on this

Will nest also control the hot water? I’m sure I read somewhere it was only heating? Thanks

Yes, Nest will control the hot water. The 2nd generation could only do heating, but that was phased out about four years ago. The current (3rd) generation can do both.

Sponsored Links
Thank you. Any tips on Install? Best to get a pro or have a bash myself? Thermostat replacement should be fairly straight forward, it’s the interface with boiler...

No pro, but fairly confident. Happy to wire in lights/ replacement of extractor fans etc

Muggles, one final question as just looked at nest. Is it literally just the 3rd gen thermostat you buy (comes with hub I believe)? Is there something extra that gets wired in to the boiler?

That's all you need. The Nest replaces the existing Altech thermostat, the wires from the Altech get connected to the Heat Link's T1 & T2 terminals, and the other terminals wire in to the boiler's supply and demand connections

When I bought the nest last night, I selected option to get quotes from ‘pro installers’ out of interest for install. I’ve had someone come back to me today saying that due to the type of boiler,

“the timer in the front of your boiler would remain in place , the Hot Water function would still have to be controlled by that timer but the Central Heating function would be set to constant and controlled by the nest thermostat. The nest would be unable to control the Hot water only the central heating”

Does this sound correct?

Thanks

To confirm I bought a 3rd Generation Nest, so assuming it’s due to boiler type only hot water can’t be controlled?

thanks

No, there's no reason why the existing programmer should remain connected. Your Nest can control both heating and hot water on your boiler

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back