Smart TV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have smart TV

I'm swapping over from a Sky Package to Virgin.

Virgin will supply me with Broadband and a Telephone ☎️ line.

All we want is real time 5 mauling TV channels and will get Netflix and possibly Prime.

Is there any benefit in getting a fire stick?

Sponsored Links
Smart TV's are too smart for their own good!

I consider my self to be quite intelligent, I'm a time served electro-mechanical engineer by trade, (now retired from that particular field after almost 50 years), and have knowledge and experience of other trades. Enjoy crosswords, quizzes and good literature. Also a dab hand when it comes to mathematics, calculations, design limitations etc, etc.
So I don't consider myself to be a knumbskull in the grand scheme of things.
However, give me the remote to a smart TV and I will somehow stuff it up completely within 10 minutes!
I just hand the remote to my wife and tell her what I would like to watch, (when I am in the mood to watch TV that is), and she will press a few buttons and, Hey Presto! She gets my programme on for me.
I've even managed to totally flumox about half a dozen I-pads when couriers ask for a signature! They tell me to scrawl something across their screen and, when I do, their machines start loading up different 'pages' and they struggle to stop them doing it. Now when I get asked to sign something in this way I simply tell them what my name/initials are and ask them to do it for the sake of their machine. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Smart TV's are too smart for their own good!

After buying my main Smart TV, I quickly found it awkward with some points, to use on the supplied buttons, and so bought the upmarket mouse style buttons. Problem was, that for some things - pointing and clicking was more awkward (play, pause, FF, FR), so I ended having to keep both buttons hand.

Sponsored Links
After buying my main Smart TV, I quickly found it awkward with some points, to use on the supplied buttons, and so bought the upmarket mouse style buttons. Problem was, that for some things - pointing and clicking was more awkward (play, pause, FF, FR), so I ended having to keep both buttons hand.
You could download an app an control it from your phone or tablet. Keep downloading apps until you find one that you like.

My smart TV was very strange yesterday. When I went to the apps section, to choose Amazon Prime, whatever app I chose, it started playing music and showed a calendar with a scrolling slideshow of photos in a frame. Turning the TV off at the mains usually sorts out other little gremlins, but not this time. I soon got bored of trying to fix it and did a factory reset.

My smart TV was very strange yesterday.

As was mine too. It decided it was in the NW and somehow switched to the Lancs transmitter, after flashing something up on screen. I didn't notice until this morning, when BBC1 began pixelating, and saw it was BBC1 NW. I set it going, doing a retune, normally it would find at least two, sometimes three out of area transmitters, but only found my local area one - I didn't have to tell it which one to use.

Note - I am still using my temporary internal loft an'tenna, which works fine for three of the more modern TV's, though is a bit dodgy for the older kitchen set, which is early Freeview.

Telly was better when there were just 3 channels and they all stopped at about midnight and there was no breakfast TV.

Similarly, pubs were better before all-day opening.

More is less!

Telly was better when there were just 3 channels and they all stopped at about midnight and there was no breakfast TV.

More is less!
Television content has never been better than now - there's always something to entertain and the back catalogue goes back 70 years - or you can get into silent b/w films from the 20s...which i thought you watched already:sneaky: - Bored with telly? Youtube provides endless choice and these days there really aren't enough hours in the day to watch it all; which is handy to have the chance to record a programme and watch it at your leisure. In the kitchen, with breakfast, in bed, or even in the bath if you're weird.
Watching some of the stuff from the 60s and 70s is badly dated and makes me think kid's today don't know how lucky they are!

You are obviously wearing the rose tinted. You now have an incredible choice of all of the old stuff, which you claimed was so much better, plus all of the new stuff over recent years. What I do agree with, is that some of the later stuff, is often not as good as some of the early stuff, but then to compensate - some is better.

Before the all day opening, I would have agreed with that statement. We here had later opening hours than across the boundary, so back then they used to tear up here and flood the local pubs for extra time and were quite rowdy. This has since settled down, we no longer have that issue, pubs are no longer rammed, and behaviour is much, much better - it seems a win, win to me, for both customers and the pubs.

I've been wondering if a 5g mobile and unlimited contract is the answer. Just set the phone up to provide wifi to the stuff you want connected to the net. Add Prime and Netflix. A stand to power the phone.

;) Not sure if the phone can still be used as a phone though. Also gets rid of the landline. other than maybe that aspect,

I've been wondering if a 5g mobile and unlimited contract is the answer. Just set the phone up to provide wifi to the stuff you want connected to the net.
That’s what I do with the internet / firestick in my workshop but no good for home - what happens when you go out with your phone and the rest of the family need to use something that is connected?

Is there any benefit in getting a fire stick?
If you get a firestick and set it up properly, you won’t need to pay for the most common content/programmes on Sky, netflix, Prime, Disney+, AppleTV+ etc etc

If you get a firestick and set it up properly, you won’t need to pay for the most common content/programmes on Sky, netflix, Prime, Disney+, AppleTV+ etc etc
And is the legal?

Sponsored Links
Back