Smeg Extractor hood - no lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've a Smeg KSEV 905X extractor hood.
The lights have stopped working, the fan works OK.
I've tested the light bulbs (Halogen G4 12 volt types) and they're OK.
I assume the problem lies with the either light switch or the transformer (?) However I can't find an obvious way to get into the body of the hood.
So, I'm after two things:
Advice as how to proceed.
Any link to a "cut-away" diagram showing the 'guts' of the hood so I can have a look.
I have the user manual but this only deals with how to assemble and mount the hood.
I'm reasonably competent with electrics.
Help please - all advice welcom
Thanks.
Best Regards

Sponsored Links
I would isolate the supply and check the bulb holder connections which may need cleaning of grease, and/or a build up carbon (admittedly unlikely for a low voltage lamp). If that doesn't work you will have to work out how to dismantle the whole thing including removing it from the wall/cooker. It may be easier to replace at a cost.

Blup

I've now managed to remove the 'chimney' cover and I can see a smallish black box with wires entering and leaving. Removing the box's cover I can see a 3-way connector strip and what looks like a cylindrical 'capoacitor' (?) - see photo.
Is this the transformer? If so how do I remove/replace it and where do I look for a reference number. As an aside, searching 'smeg transformers' returns a number of units that don't look like what I've got ?
Have got so far and now a bit lost.... So all help greatfully received, thanks

Attachments

• Smeg cooker hood transformer.jpg
    Smeg cooker hood transformer.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 45
Sponsored Links
Looks more like a capacitor for the motor to me. Have you tested for a voltage at the amp holders as Blup suggested ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back