Smell coming from the BACK of my fridge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:confused: I am sooo frustrated, there is a weird smell coming from my fridge but not from inside, its coming from the back, actually from where the motor and all the parts are. I've taken the back off to check for anything inside but cant see anything, its a sort of sweet (not a pleasant sweet) smell, maybe like a pee smell :confused: its really hard to explain but its not nice at all. The fridge is only about 6mths old. Its definatley nothin under or at the back it is actually inside with the parts so the air that is being blown out smells. Any ideas this is driving me crazy ???????

Sponsored Links
Sound like it's young enough to be repaired under warranty.

If this is an auto defrost fridge-check tray on top of compressor for food debris in water ,if this is the case make sure things in fridge dont touch back wall of fridge in future

thanks for your advise, its not a self deforst fridge so i'm still baffled. I've called the manufacturers and they say they wont come out as there is no fault, the fridge is working properly but say if i touch it in any way to try and sort it myself then my insurance is invalid :?: :?:

Sponsored Links
kristy-Marie said:
thanks for your advise, its not a self deforst fridge so i'm still baffled. I've called the manufacturers and they say they wont come out as there is no fault, the fridge is working properly but say if i touch it in any way to try and sort it myself then my insurance is invalid :?: :?:
In that case take legal advice, then tell them that your legal advice is that you have the right to a replacement appliance on the basis that it is not fit for purpose, i.e. it smells too much to be kept in the kitchen.

If you're determined and stick to your guns, then you may have to file a court application (see www.moneyclaim.gov.uk).

The CAB should be able to help you with this.

Kirsty assuming you're still looking for advice.

GO TO TRADING STANDARDS SITE www.tradingstandards.org.uk

on left of home page click on For consumers

then click on Telephone and Mail preferences services

From the middle listing click 5th down that you want trading standards to deal with your problem.

welcome to consumer complaint.org.uk home page shows
click on left make a complaint.

click on the map that shows for your area/county [you may have to click on another one that shows if the county is divided in to East/West.]

reply yes re insecure box that shows then to are taken to the form you then fill it in following on screen instructions. It is then sent to your local trading standards office. Good luck.
I can't understand why they won't come out there is obviously a problem.
I've smell gas used in fridges not many years ago and that smells a bit like that so I wonder if they still use gas of sorts if so it could be a small leak. Give em a call and tell them you are contacting trading standards if nothings done about it. Don't touch it any more as they say you'll break the warranty.

could also be a rodent that went to sleep where the compressor mnotor is and got trapped. Happened in my aunt's house.

ro63rto

could also be a rodent that went to sleep where the compressor mnotor is and got trapped. Happened in my aunt's house.

Kristy...following on from above, you say you have taken the back of the fridge off, what do you mean by that. the compressor will be exposed to atmosphere, it would not have a back on it, unless it was a gas fridge.

Why not take a picture of the back & post it.

on the back of the fridge down the bottom there is a grill that unscrews and comes off in there are all the bits and pieces (i honestly have no idea what is what) i only took that off to know for def that the smell was coming from there.

Anyway i have telephoned them yet again and finally have someone coming round on Tuesday (thats a full day off work as they cant say what time between 9am - 5pm), i will let you know how i go on, should be fun :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back