smells coming from the extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a ceiling mounted bathroom extractor fan which exits through the roof, is it possible to adapt so as to remove smelly back drafts when not in use?

thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
we had a fan with a non return "flaps" they close when fan not working, opened by pressure of fan, is that what you mean?

breezer said:
we had a fan with a non return "flaps" they close when fan not working, opened by pressure of fan, is that what you mean?

yes thats the thing, but do i need a totally new fan or is there a part i can buy?

jduncan69 said:
breezer said:

yes thats the thing, but do i need a totally new fan or is there a part i can buy?

part you can buy

Sponsored Links
andy said:
jduncan69 said:
breezer said:

part you can buy

thanks for all the help guys, off surfing for a part on the web :D

jduncan69 said:
i have a ceiling mounted bathroom extractor fan which exits through the roof, is it possible to adapt so as to remove smelly back drafts when not in use?

thanks for any help
smelly? whats on the roof? I would get that sorted first.

Smelly back drafts?

Lay off the curries mate :D

You can buy an inline backdraft shutter to fit inside the flexihose / ducting
Get them from a local electrical wholesalers

andy said:
jduncan69 said:
breezer said:

part you can buy
Andy (or anyone else), I have only seen these included in the fan housing and could do with putting one into my exiting duct work (just to stop drafts not smells). Can you give us a clue as to where you think these can be purchased ?

bathjobby said:
Andy (or anyone else), I have only seen these included in the fan housing and could do with putting one into my exiting duct work (just to stop drafts not smells). Can you give us a clue as to where you think these can be purchased ?

electrical wholesaler, sheds etc will have them.

after a very brief search of screwfix, i came accross this

Thanks Andy, I wasn't being lazy on the search front, I knew about those. Some fans come with 'butterfly type' shutters in the fan housing which snap shut to close the housing when the air flow stops (fan switched off). I thought it was that type of device but independent of the fan, that you were referring to. Thanks anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back