Smelly machine again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having read understood and complied with all of the prevoius posts on the subject of smelly machine machines i pose the question once again in the hope that something might of been overlooked in the hohay to get an answer last time around.
For your information i use a mixture of both liquid and powdered detergents and softners i have cleaned out the soap tray extensively through the dishwasher etc exhastively cleaned out its filter and soap drawer runners and every and all pipes i can get to any further places to look, all water appears to be running clear.
Thanks in advance for any help offered

Slanj

Sponsored Links
Our Bosch machine also suffers from smell .We traced the problem to the bottom of the front door panel .This is an area which never gets washed .
Usually there is also a rubber seal .An occasional wipe with a damp cloth will result in a noticeable layer of gunge ; this being the source of the smell .I might add that we do use dishwasher cleaners with lttle success .
Jim58

We had a Hoover washer dyer for about 15 years and never ever had to do a service wash or suffered from smelly water or bits on the washing.

Our current Hotpoint one has to be cleaned every 3-4 months.

The only real difference which I can see is that the Hotpoint has a plastic drum casing

Sponsored Links
Having read understood and complied with all of the prevoius posts on the subject of smelly machine machines

evidentaly you didnt.

put half a packet of washing soada on a 60 degree wash, no clothes.

Breezer so sorry for not following YOUR instructions to the letter sargent major the only mistake i actually made i fear was asking you for help in the first place i have read and done all that you say, and simply forgot to mention the soda chrystals bit, but most certainly do not merit your cheek, insolance and degrading answer, you treat everyone as morons, guess what were not, you are the only one i am able to find on this forum anyway that answers in such an arrogant way absloute discrase.
Help by all means BUT DONT DEMINE that is nothing more than bulling

There are a few reasons for the smell developing.
We no longer do boil washes and where our "grannies" did 60 degree washes we now do 30 and 40 degree.
Soap powders have also changed, to work better at lower temperatures.
Outer metal tubs have changed to plastic (as you pointed out) and this also contributes.
Basically, when you do a cool wash soap powder and body fat from the clothes sticks to the tub, this builds up and with the door closed rapidly goes rancid.
If you live in a soft water area you need to reduce the amount of soap powder used, you also need to carry out regular maintenance washes to stop the build up. I recommend the hottest wash, 90 degree, if you're in a hard water area add some soda crystals, soft water area use 1 aerial tablet (green box). (you may have to do this 2 or 3 times to clean the machine up, I do a maintenance wash on a monthly basis on our machine.
You should also leave the door of the washing machine open when it's not being used, ajar is fine. This also helps prevent the bacteria growing.
I've referred to soap powder but this also applies to tablets.
Avoid liquids as there is no bleach content in these at all and just leads to bacteria growth quicker.
Hope this helps.

There are a few reasons for the smell developing.
We no longer do boil washes and where our "grannies" did 60 degree washes we now do 30 and 40 degree.
Soap powders have also changed, to work better at lower temperatures.
Outer metal tubs have changed to plastic (as you pointed out) and this also contributes.
Basically, when you do a cool wash soap powder and body fat from the clothes sticks to the tub, this builds up and with the door closed rapidly goes rancid.
If you live in a soft water area you need to reduce the amount of soap powder used, you also need to carry out regular maintenance washes to stop the build up. I recommend the hottest wash, 90 degree, if you're in a hard water area add some soda crystals, soft water area use 1 aerial tablet (green box). (you may have to do this 2 or 3 times to clean the machine up, I do a maintenance wash on a monthly basis on our machine.
You should also leave the door of the washing machine open when it's not being used, ajar is fine. This also helps prevent the bacteria growing.
I've referred to soap powder but this also applies to tablets.
Avoid liquids as there is no bleach content in these at all and just leads to bacteria growth quicker.
Hope this helps.

Sleepyhead
Thankyou so very much at last a decent reply i am most grateful and will obviously try what you suggest

Oh, forgot to say. Make sure the drain hose goes higher than the spigot or not too far into the stand pipe. This is to avoid syphoning or back syphoning.

Hi, has the machine been in for a while then just started to smell?? or has the drain pipes been fitted correctly, there should at some point in the drainage of the system be a water trap to stop the smell from the drain it goes into coming back into the machine, if no water trap is there then one should be fitted to stop the smells.... this acts in the same way has a toilet bowl ... regards Al.

dizzybrunette, you said

Having read understood and complied with all of the prevoius posts on the subject of smelly machine machines

I merely pointed out the fact that you had obvioulsy not read all the posts (as you claimed you had)

you also said

which is what i posted.

You then went on to say

and simply forgot to mention the soda chrystals bit

I ask you, how I am supposed to knoiw what you have or have not done?

I am not

View media item 1266
sleepyhead seems to have told you the same thing that i did, but he did also explain why you should do it.

dizzybrunette, you said

I merely pointed out the fact that you had obvioulsy not read all the posts (as you claimed you had)

you also said

which is what i posted.

You then went on to say

and simply forgot to mention the soda chrystals bit

I ask you, how I am supposed to knoiw what you have or have not done?

I am not

View media item 1266
sleepyhead seems to have told you the same thing that i did, but he did also explain why you should do it.

Thrashing to nothing mate.

I simply thought you were being rather abrupt and rather downgrading of me and others in posts i have raed all over this forum and thought i would raise my dislike for your abrupt post/reply i did not intend starting a full scale war, soz to everyone as i seem to off done this without meaning to, there are ways to speak to people and politely is usually the way to win friends and influence people i find not apparently Beezers who has never met me etc.
However its done, said etc all is forgotten lets move on, going to try new suggestions as machine still smelling a bit

I wouldn't take it personally, we all have differing styles of posting on this forum. Mine for instance are usually gibberish.

please confirm which steps you have taken so far, and we will see what others we can suggest.

try white vinegar distilled 1 bottle in the dispenser and put on a 95 wash no powder no clothes .try it twice and see the differance it makes ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back