smelly oil fumes

I just feel that this burner is too large for your system, but what do I know....? I would have thought that a .80 nozzle with an 80 degree spread would have been expected. I'm just wondering if the flame is impinging on the back of the firebox.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Well from all your posts and thanks probably alot me than me! Anyway my logic at the moment is that I am on the original nozzle and pressure of the original burner so as much as I have unwanted smoke it should not be hitting the back of the box? I accept its sooting up which is far from ideal! So I will see how this forum develops and advises, at least I am not smelly at the moment!

Right, so original nozzle and pressure now being used, but there's still smoke there......as far as I can see the only thing you can do is to open up the air door a bit at a time to see if that cures it.
Have you cleaned out the boiler baffles and flue? Do you think you can trust the old nozzle?
I'm running an old Panda 55/65 myself - oldie and quite goodie, I think...owes me nowt anyway!
Unlike others, I quite like running troublesome burners up on the bench - great way of checking ignition spark, etc and you can still see if too much smoke is there. It cancels out the boiler equation, anyway!
Wishing you success!
John :)

What Colour is the Smoke? Black, or blue/White, if Black lack of air, if Blue/White too much air, probable as the X500 is too big for your boiler, you have to remember the X range was designed for High resistance Condensing Boilers not low resistance Thorn P120's ;)

Sponsored Links
Presumably more fuel more power out is not necessarily less efficient as it runs for less time?[/quote]
Correct up to a point, but too high an output will cut out the boiler thermostat too early and can cause the return port to remain too cool, promoting condensation and consequent corrosion, leading to a leaking boiler

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back