Smelly shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've endured a smelly shower room for 3 years, its driving me nuts. I've had plumbers investigate leaks etc, with no luck. The house is only 3 years old, the smell comes and goes and doesn't seem to be dependant on use.....

Any thoughts before i resort to a sledge hammer? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Now tell all about your shower waste pipe :!:

How is it connected and where to etc ?

Not sure what you mean when you ask 'How' is it connected..... plastic pipes!!(sorry - not techy when it comes to plunbing) it connects then to the shower/bath outlet in the family bathroom next door (a run of about 4 feet), which is the strange thing - no smell in there at all....

Sponsored Links
I know it not easy,can you try and pinpoint where the smell is coming from ? Is it coming from the shower trap,if so take it out plus the waste pipe and give it a good clean or renew.You can also test this by temporary putting a old towel into the trap and so back again later to see if the smell is still there.Is the trap leaking onto the floorboard? or maybe have a look under the floorboards to see if the smell is under there etc. Do have carpet or lino ? maybe remove them temporary and see what happen.Do you have proper ventilation etc.

Also is your outside drains clean,the smell can come back up the pipe to the shower room etc.

We have a smelly shower room sometimes. A dose of hydroxide type bleach usually cures it (down the wast hole). But recently I foun it was also the overflow on the basin (fairly stunk!!!) so that got a dose too. Things are better now :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back