Smoke alarm dilemma

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Morning

We were awoken today at 0500 by one of the smoke alarms going off. Jumped out of bed and it stopped. Checked the house, no problem.

20 minutes later it does the same. So I have killed the power via the RCD, took the alarm off and removed the battery. But can't go back to sleep.

The alarms are mains powered with battery back up, the circuit comprises 2 smoke alarms in hall/landing and one heat alarm in kitchen. Under normal test conditions they are linked so if one goes off they all do. This did not happen this morning.

The alarms have been fitted nearly 4 years and the one which woke us has a manufacture date of 150506. I recall that when this was first fitted we had some problems with it going off unwantedly, hence it was swapped during 2006.

The alarms have not been cleaned, so could a build up of dust cause this to activate? The house has been very dusty! There was also a small spider on the alarm when I took it down, could this have activated it? Or is it a case of ringing the electrician and getting everything checked out?

Any guidance required, going to be a long day today! Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Most of us are up at 5 every day.
Dust can be a problem for the ionising sensors.

Do most of you go to bed at the same time as me? ;)

Anyway, thanks for the comment about dust, I will see if I can vacuum the thing, alternatively I will consider replacing it if vacuuming is deemed to be ineffective.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back